20 gauge o/u issues - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

20 gauge o/u issues

Does anyone own a Stoeger Condor 20 gauge that will not fire the 2nd round consistantly? Just bought one for my wife and have found this to happen unpredictably while shooting trap. First thought was she was not releasing the trigger completely, but then I tried a few rounds and it would do the same for me. If you keeping pulling the trigger the round will go off eventually. I did talk to the shop where I got it and he said to bring it in (of course). So I guess that's whats next. Otherwise it seems like a nice gun for what I paid for it.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

NRA Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 03:36 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: 20 gauge o/u issues

When you say you "keep pulling the trigger" and it finally goes off do you mean without breaking the gun to recock it you just keep pulling the trigger? If this is the case you may have a problem with a sear not catching because of a poor fitting part. I do not know if stoegers are mechanical or inertia triggers, but you may try rapping the butt with you fist to imitate recoil and if it is inertia it may switch triggers. Either way it needs work.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have the same problem with mine - haven't done anything about it, so I'd be interested to hear if you find the cause of the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 11:12 AM

I had an uplander that did something similar. The lock jammed and would not open, plus second barrel would not fire. Finally got the second round to fire, was duck hunting at the time so didn't make me happy wasting a heavi shot round. Ended up taking it back and was sent out to a gun smith. I was told that almost none of the internal parts were fit to the gun and it was only a matter of time before something happened.

I loved that gun, it was great. Just after the initial problems I have told anyone that asks me about the Stoegers' to just have them looked over by a smith after you buy them.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 01:06 PM

Unfortunately, this is a commom problem with Stoegers and other Turk & Russian guns. There is very little quality control and the parts they use are substandard from proper part fitting to the steel they used in one particular run to another. O/U's are relatively expensive to make. (That's why we get sticker shock when we look at new Brownings) I'm in no way being critical when I say this but it really does come down to "you get what you pay for". Some people get lucky and never have a problem, others always have problems. Basically, guns like these are made to be affordable and in order to turn a profit, they have to use less expensive, lower quality materials.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Banned

certainly don't mean to offend anyone, but this is where the argument "You get what you pay for" comes from, especially in Over/Unders.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I realize that there will certainly will be differnces between a $400 and $2000 gun. That being said I did ask around quite a bit before getting this gun. Everyone seemed to have positive things to say about the gun. I plan to take it back to the shop to see what they can do for me.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

NRA Life Member
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 02:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead
Unfortunately, this is a commom problem with Stoegers and other Turk & Russian guns.
Only the Stoeger Auto's are made in Turkey. The O/U's and S x S's are made in Brazil by E.R. Amantino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truk
When you say you "keep pulling the trigger" and it finally goes off do you mean without breaking the gun to recock it you just keep pulling the trigger? If this is the case you may have a problem with a sear not catching because of a poor fitting part. I do not know if stoegers are mechanical or inertia triggers, but you may try rapping the butt with you fist to imitate recoil and if it is inertia it may switch triggers. Either way it needs work.
They are inertia triggers and I was going to suggest a lack of recoil (light loads)wasn't setting the second trigger but if it eventually fires it does sound like a mechanical problem.

I bought a Condor Supreme for my daughter a few years ago and we haven't had any problems with it. I like the gun and carry it for small game as often as my 12 gauge O/U.

I've heard of these failure-to-fire problems before. I've also heard the customer service was okay. Let us know how it turns out.

Eh...wot?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

I agree with the above posters. I tell everyone, buy a quality used gun instead of this turkish,russian brazillian crap.These cheap o/u's will be nothing but problems.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Sage

Most of the turkish triggers are mechanical, not recoil activated.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page