Slug through a full choke? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Slug through a full choke?

So I have a mossberg 500 20 ga. I believe the original choke was full. It was the one that came with the gun new. Anyway I shot a slug through it when I was a kid and was never able to get the choke out after that. It also feels like there was grooves left in the choke by the wings on the slug. It says it is safe to shoot slugs through a full accu-choke on the mossberg website. I also took it to a gun smith and he said he thinks the choke is just rusted in the barrel. However those grooves don't seem right to me and I don't recall them being there before I shot that slug out of the gun. I did that about 17 years ago and really don't recall the details. The gun still shoots but I'd like to replace the choke. Any input on this? Can anyone with a mossberg accu-choke tell me if there is supposed to be grooves in it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 02:27 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Slug through a full choke?

my 835 says right on the side of the barrel to not use slugs. when shooting slugs i believe you are supposed to use at most an improved choke
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 03:52 PM

17 years ago I would assume it is a foster type slug. Shooting a slug through a fixed choke will probably not cause damage to the barrel, but best to contact the Mfg. first. Shooting a slug through a screw in type choke may well cause damage to the choke and/or threads. If the choke could not be removed after the shot and it was not rusted before the slug was fired then probably it was the result of the act.

I would think a gunsmith could remove the choke unless the threads are severally damaged. The fact that there are groves in the choke could well indicate a problem occurred during the shot.

Worst case I would check with the gunsmith to determine if the barrel length could be cut and new threads be cut in allowing the use of new and proper chokes for the loads to be used. Compare that price to the price of a new barrel.

I would not attempt to shoot another slug through the same barrel without proper modification by a professional to make it safe.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67kmq
my 835 says right on the side of the barrel to not use slugs. when shooting slugs i believe you are supposed to use at most an improved choke
Over bored barrel?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 05:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67kmq
Over bored barrel?
Yes-which the model 500 doesn't have. Any choke more open than modified will shoot Fosters type slugs just fine. Just be sure you check often to make sure they stay tight.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I found some pics of a choke on-line that was damaged by steel shot and the grooves in the choke looked similar to mine. Maybe I put steel shot through? I really don't remember. I was only 10 or 11.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 09:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'd soak the end of the barrel in a jar of solvent or penetrating lube for a week and have another go at trying to remove it. If your going to cut the barrel shorter or replace it (not sure if that's your options) you may as well give it the ol college try one more time. Lol.

As a kid I shot 16 ga slugs (foster style) out of a single shot all the time that was full choke. Still have the gun, still shoots rabbits fine, no choke tubes though. It was fixed.

Your just jealous because I've been chatting online with babes all day!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Ya, I haven't found any legitimate claims about foster slugs damaging full chokes. The only thing I can think of is that it is either rusted in the barrel or I put steel shot through it. But after looking a pics of chokes damaged by steel shot again I really can't say it is similar. I'll just take it to another gun smith for a second opinion. I haven't shot the gun in a while but if it patterns good I'll just leave it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 10:23 PM
The Man

First I would try soaking it with Kroil for a few days. If that didn't work I would let it sit in Kerosene for a week or two.

If you can identify the right size one of these might work but the choke tube would be ruined: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/2817/=q1x4ye

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 10:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quite likely you swelled the choke into the threads. Some screw-in chokes aren't exactly made from the toughest of materials and a fosters slug popping through a full choke could very well have expanded it to the threads.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page