I have a gunsmith question about a rare shotgun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a gunsmith question about a rare shotgun

I have a Winchester Model 1912 Take-down, made 1914, 16ga, 2 9/16 chamber, factory documented 22" barrel with intact mod. choke. It was ordered from Winchester by my Great Grandfather. It seems that the original barrel nut is worn and the barrel and tube assembly "wabble" on the reciever. will it damage the value of the shotgun to replace the nut and have a spacer installed? Or should I just keep it factory original in unfireable condition?

My aspirations are simple.
Send the kids to college, hunt, and own more guns
USMC 2111 Armorer, Ret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:36 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: I have a gunsmith question about a rare shotgun

The model 12's were all takedowns. I'm not sure exactly how it's done but I know they have some sort of adjusting sleeve that can be turned to take up slop between the reciever and barrel.
Great gun by the way.

The Second Ammendment...
Its kind of a big deal.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Theres a locking screw with a tiny spring underneath. Ive adjusted to all setings allowed by the cut out nothces. Came up bunk. Gunsmith said I neded the barrel ring replaced and a spacer wedge. I will gladly replace the part and have the spacer added. What I dont want to do is ruin the guns value. Only a small handful of Mod. 1912 shotguns were documented with barrel modifications in manufacturing date 1914. Most of which were 12ga. So my 16ga. is probably only one in less than 100 with barrel modifications manufactured in 1914. The arms appraiser told me to add it to my homeowners insurance for 2000.00 Dont want to drop the value to 300 bucks over a stupid decision

My aspirations are simple.
Send the kids to college, hunt, and own more guns
USMC 2111 Armorer, Ret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You will not hurt the value by having the repair done professionally. There should be no spacer needed. You need to send it to a top shelf outfit for that repair, don't take it anywhere local.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 03:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

Mod 12 that are that worn are not worth a fortune anymore. More value in Hunting a great family gun. JMHO
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S.
Theres a locking screw with a tiny spring underneath. Ive adjusted to all setings allowed by the cut out nothces. Came up bunk. Gunsmith said I neded the barrel ring replaced and a spacer wedge. I will gladly replace the part and have the spacer added. What I dont want to do is ruin the guns value. Only a small handful of Mod. 1912 shotguns were documented with barrel modifications in manufacturing date 1914. Most of which were 12ga. So my 16ga. is probably only one in less than 100 with barrel modifications manufactured in 1914. The arms appraiser told me to add it to my homeowners insurance for 2000.00 Dont want to drop the value to 300 bucks over a stupid decision
Who is this guy? At 2 grand each I have 4 I'd gladly sell him.

NRA Life member
Mid-Range match director: Reade Range
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANwA_bwB5eQ

http://www.nulineguns.com/part_part_41_3_31_42.php

Yeah, I have a 16 that I love, but for $2000, it'd be gone. Mine's a 26" mod. - I need to check up on the manf'ing date!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a pre 64 Trap model New in Box with Tags... I would take less than $2000.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 01:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Although the OP's gun is an heirloom, its not worth 2 grand. A factory order in those days was very common from most factories. Not taking anything away from the gun, but ordering a field gun with a barrel 2 inches shorter than standard does not make it rare. I suspect the appraiser was a bit overzealous, as I can assure you there is no criteria set aside for shorter barrels in a model 12. Enjoy the gun, don't try to fix it yourself, have it done right, MHO.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 02:23 AM
Wiz

I agree with Joe. A non-functioning model 12 is hardly worth anything. A trained and reputable gunsmith should be able to return it to functional condition. Good work comes at a cost but like anything, you have to look at it as an investment.

There are many so called gunsmiths out there but many are parts changers. Call around or stop in some shops and ask if they are a parts changer or a gunsmith. If their hackles get raised and they start tripping over their words, get out of there. If they smile and laugh calmly you probably found a gunsmith worth his weight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page