45 acp carry gun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

45 acp carry gun

I'm looking for a 45 carry gun that I can still take and comfortably shoot at the range. I have looked today at the Springfield GI micro compact 1911 (539.99), Springfield XD compact(519.99), and the guy showed me a Smith and Wesson MP I believe it was about the same size as the XD but with a much thicker grip. I'm between the 1911 and the XD. I really dont want to spend more than 600 dollars on the gun. If you have any experience with these guns or input on another one in my price range let me know. Thanks ahead of time.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:18 PM
The Man

Re: 45 acp carry gun

I'm a big fan of the 1911, but I also like the glocks. Have you checked them out?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just bought a XD-40 several weeks ago and have been shooting it just about daily.For me the trigger took a little getting used to , but now after several hundred rounds i will say i am pleased with accuracy , function and handling.

Save a wolf , take one to the taxidermist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I have been thought about the glock, they didnt have any in 45 only one subcompact 9mm he said so I didnt get to handle them. the 1911 was the most comftorble in my hand but the safety was a little bit tough to reach. and being single action would it be best to carry cocked and locked or safe off and hammer down. My uncle has a full size XD 45 and Im going to get ahold of him and shoot it. My step dad has a colt 1911 I love that gun. But I like the grip safe and trigger safe on the XD. Im going to look into a place that carrys Glock so I can check them out. Any one know of a place that carrys them not far from leechburg pa 15656?

Thanks

Ken
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Highfield,

I'm a 1911 fan all the way. I have a Springfield full size Mil-Spec that I bought 4 years ago and have added "stuff" to and it's a real keeper.

I recently acquired a Kimber ultra Carry II and it's not only accurate, but very easy to carry concealed. Just as easy to shoot as my full size Springer too.

For the price of the Springfield Microcompact I don't think you can go wrong. You can always add 1911 after market features down the road when you have a few bucks if you want to. You can get a trigger job if you want a 2-3lb trigger pull, get the front strap checkered, add night sights or a lazer sight to it.

There are so many after market products for the 1911 you can hardly go wrong. And, you can do it as you have the bucks.

MHO. I hope this helps

Dave

“Nothing external to you has any power over you.” -Emerson

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 08:03 PM

I have a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail 1911, I carry it everywhere.

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've had a Colt Defender for many years and its been good to me. When I bought it I was comparing it to a similar Kimber model. I liked the trigger better on the Kimber but the Defender just felt so much better in my hand. Figured it would be easier to improve the Colt trigger as compared to changing the feel of the Kimber. The trigger is really nice after grinding down and polishing the sear engagement.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-..._PISTOLS.aspx#

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Frequent Contributor

If you dont mind a SA, this is kind of hard to beat for the money. $485.00 , no res, on GunBroker.
Add the $28.oo ship fee, and $20 transfer fee your looking at $533 for a 13 round, 45acp, 2 / 12 round mags, and a Bianchi holster. This 45 will out last you and at least 1 grand kid. I have carried one of these since 1994. Changed 3 recoil springs,3 firing pin springs at a cost of around $15 total.I have shot over 8000 round of ammo, ( reloads, and carry ammo)and still goes bang, 13 times every time I touch the trigger at the range. With the right load, 200 grain XTPS,
I have no prob keeping 100 rounds inside a B27 target at 25 yards. One draw back though, No picitiny rail cut into the frame for attachments. But for an old school, hardcore, no bells or whistles kind of 45. It seems hard to beat for the $533. IMHO. P12 Para Ord. Steel Frame. Fully suported chamber, OK for +P ammo, and reloads will not void the warranty.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."
Wayne LaPierre 12/21/12
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 01:29 AM

HighField, I have been on sight for too many ammo and firearms test, if I am carryng it will be in a 40. The penetration, accuracy, mag capacity are far superior than the 45. They hit almost as hard also. As far as wich one to buy the Xd and the MP are both very comfortable, accurate, and reliable. The nice thing with the MP is that it comes from the factory with adjustable grips to nfit your hands.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:05 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have a 5 inch smith and wesson 1911. I am well over six feet and it is almost too big for me. On the other side of the coin double tap ammo company loads .45's to almost the limit. I can shoot a round through two car doors and a pumpkin and the bullet still keeps going. The gun also hasn't jammed on me yet. Although it is a nice gun I have considered trading it in for a 4inch gun. I really like the looks of the dan wesson bobtail .45 or 10 millimeter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page