whats your FAV 12 ga semi? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

whats your FAV 12 ga semi?

I am looking for some opinions on high end semi 12 ga shotguns. I am looking hard a Benelli Vinci.

I plan for it to be general purpose shotgun. light trap-sporting clays, smallgame (when I can find it) waterfowl.

will hunt for food....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: whats your FAV 12 ga semi?

friend has a super vinci I love it . I have a benelli sbe and a browning maxus im partial to the browning maxus. its my favorite overall
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

All your "high end" semi's are pretty much comparable now days. Heard of guys who love the one they have, then the next guy has had problems. But they are just like cars, there are bound to be a lemon or two in every brand.

I shoot a versa max, absolutely love it. Some friends shoot the benelli SBE, couple others the Extremma, another the new A5, etc. All great guns.

Only thing I would say about the Vinci, is the placement of the safety. Most other guns have the safety in the same spot, near the trigger, I think the Vinci has it on the back of the reciever? Just something different that may be hard for you to get used to if you've always shot a different gun, the safety is like second nature, and that gun is just a little different. Never heard of any complaints about the gun itself, just hard to get used to that safety.

I would also say, get one that takes 3 1/2 inch shells. I personally don't normally shoot them, but if you happen run out of shells in the blind....and all your buddies shoot 3 1/2, your out of luck. not that it happens much, but it happened to me a couple years ago, when I was shooting my 11-87, 3" gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I handled most maker Browning,Winchester,Remington Beretta,Benelli,etc I think all are about the the in quality, but none fit me like the Vinci. That gun really pops into place! I owned a SBE and it left "long" and then browning gold and it felt sluggish... This Vinci felt like a part of me. The only that felt close was Beretta xtrema. But even that gun left long/top heavy. If that make any sense.

I wanted to play with Winchesters sx3, before I spend my cas. Oh the 3.5 thing is kinda over rated in my book. Besides the guys I hunt with are cheapo cheapo and they always bum my shells.

will hunt for food....
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The one that FITS YOU. All things being equal, the quality you get from a high end shotgun is to be expected, though price certainly does not a good shotgun always make and the best functioning gun in the world is almost useless if it doesn't fit you and you can't hit what you're shooting at. Having sold THOUSANDS of shotguns, I can say I have actually steered buyers away from some shotguns that were considered "top shelf" because it just didn't fit them. They only wanted the thing BECAUSE it was the most expensive. Some didn't listen and bought the one they first wanted out of the magazine they saw it in and came back complaining because they couldn't water with it if they were in a boat. The good thing about fit though nowadays is that the vast majority of shotguns, especially the higher end models, come with shim kits designed to adjust for fit and the others can usually be fit to the shotter very easilly by any compitent gun smith.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 08:55 PM
The Man

Just as MJY said......... fit is ALL important.

But since the OP asked what our faves were........

Super X2 and Super X3 !!!

Have both. LOVE both !!!!

Slightly over 1/2 the price of the average Benelli, softer shooting, faster cycling and NO LESS reliable under any conditions I've hunted in.

$500-$700 left in pocket by buying the Winchester over the Benelli buys a LOT of shotgun shells.

demokraten saugen
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 09:05 PM

Toss up between beretta 390 and benelli M2 for favorites. 390 is no longer made but you can still find them.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ya know Strut? I got all that out and never did put MY FAV in there! lol Mine would be the SBE II. I have a ton of love for the Maxus. Soft shooting and durable. But it still isn't a "Nelli".

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 09:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like my Benelli SBE2

I often wonder,Why do people get mad, when you tell them the truth?

"You can't fix stupid!"
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 09:29 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyjoeyoung
Ya know Strut? I got all that out and never did put MY FAV in there! lol
Happens.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page