bond arms snake slayer? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

bond arms snake slayer?

Does anyone have any experience with one of these? With the .410 i would bet that there would be a lot of recoil. Any opinions would be appreciated. I was thinking of a carry gun and snake protection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: bond arms snake slayer?

I always wonder about the term "snake protection".
Simply because as fast as I am ....its always been faster to just step away.
However the bond arms are well built and if you have not held one , they may be bigger/heavier than you may think.
But they are much better built than a davis or those leinads that used to be out there.
But the cost will reflect this.
Unless you're recoil sensitive I don't see why you won't be able to touch off 2 "quick" rounds.
After all it's not like you'll be spraying 19rds of 9mm.
And I won't get into any talk of the 410 for defense out of these pistols but with that being said.....
I think there are better solutions but they are well built guns , if not the best in its class.......
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Sage

Actually, a .410 round with buckshot is a pretty effective self defense round at close range. I have an American Derringer in .45 Colt or .410 and I have conficence it would do what ot is supposed to do and when faced wth a life and death situation, recoil isn't even thought about.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
I always wonder about the term "snake protection".
Simply because as fast as I am ....its always been faster to just step away.
However the bond arms are well built and if you have not held one , they may be bigger/heavier than you may think.
But they are much better built than a davis or those leinads that used to be out there.
But the cost will reflect this.
Unless you're recoil sensitive I don't see why you won't be able to touch off 2 "quick" rounds.
After all it's not like you'll be spraying 19rds of 9mm.
And I won't get into any talk of the 410 for defense out of these pistols but with that being said.....
I think there are better solutions but they are well built guns , if not the best in its class.......
how heavy are they? i dont think that i would buy one but still interested about them.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 12:36 AM
Regular Visitor

I want a Bond Arms soooo bad. I shot one at the gun club one day, I must admit it was fun

I won't weigh your thread down, but here's a link to a site that does penetration testing (in addition to lots of other stuff thats awesome to read about) and thats the article about snakeshot.

One thought on self defense-
I agree a 410 with buckshot is a formidable close-quarters opponent, but I'd think it easier to work with in something like a Taurus Judge.. e.g. double action. A bond arms derringer is only a little bit smaller (iirc) than my ruger LCR, which holds five rounds and only requires finger to operate.

All that said, any gun tops no gun, and no free man need ever have to "justify" owning a gun (especially one as cool as that.)

- Rabid Groundhog
...who can't hardly wait to get back out into the field
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

they are some of the nicest derringers available. the Bonds and the Americans are the 2 top quality lines on the market today. they are heavy and they last.

"The only senseless killing, would be the killing of me"
-Matthew Zerby
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Sage

Yep I like my American Derringer, machine made, not cast and it has the weight needed for a .45 Colt or short .410. Bonds are well made but I like the traditional looks of the American Derringer better than the Bond.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

I think if one gets past the hype , a 410 load of buck from the judge is hardly classified as formidable.
Never mind out of a derringer.
At least when looked at what it can take to drop the bad guy and the requirments used by others.
But they bust up water jugs ok ..... so they must be da'bomb
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Sage

Would you volunteer to stand in front of a .410 buckshot load at close range where a derringer is meant for? Derringers were made for accross a table or a feet feet away, not long distances and they will kill you grave yard dead. The fact of the matter is a .22 racing around inside your skull will drop you in your tracks.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
The fact of the matter is a .22 racing around inside your skull will drop you in your tracks.
Sure it would and yet the 22 pistol is still NOT considered a "formidable" weapon , so your point would be what?
And volunteering to stand in front of anything has nothing to do with reliable stoppers.
Not a darn thing.
Pain compliance or terrible LOOKING wounds are not considered reliable stoppers in a life and death confrotation.
Or we'd all be packing bb guns. The 410 buck from these pistols lacks the penetration to shut down the C.N.S acknowledged by those who do these sort of things to be a reliable stopper.
Hence I must question the term that was used by someone as formidable.
Let me repeat that , The 410 buck from these pistols lacks the penetration to shut down the C.N.S acknowledged by those who do these sort of things to be a reliable stopper.
Hence I must question the term that was used by someone as formidable.
But I suppose a lot may depend on your target, is it a shirtless , underfed skinny kid?
And your going shoot him square in the face/chest , or is it bubba who spent ten years in the pen pumping iron and not only is bubba clothed but his arm is in the way of a center mass shot? After all he is pointing a gun/knife at you.
Now I suppose if we could always pick the first option , that may work , but we can't nor should we think that's what will take place.
You may shove a 410 belly gun into your pocket and think it's formidable , but that doesn't make it so.
Better than nothing , perhaps ..... formidable? , hardly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page