Damaged Shotshells - Advice Please - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Damaged Shotshells - Advice Please

Hello everyone,

I had quite a few boxes of shotshell stored in a closed off area of the basement.
We had a terrifically heavy rain that damaged the gutters, and water dampened the basement walls.

When I went in to get some shells for trap, I found all of the boxes badly molded, so I removed all of the shells, threw away the boxes, and put the shells into sealable plastic bags.

Most of the shells seem fine, but some have slightly rusted/corroded bases. Some are brass bases and some are steel.

I'd like to clean them up, and my thought is to spray then with WD-40, let then sit a bit, and then wipe them with a non-scratching kitchen pad. Does this sound OK?
Am I ok storing them in sealed plastic bags?

Any other suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Tom

"Money will buy you a pretty good gun dog, but it won’t buy the wag of its tail"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Sage

Re: Damaged Shotshells - Advice Please

Don't use wd40, it will kill the primers and I wouldn't advise keeping them in plastic bags because you will trap moisture in the bag. You wuld be better off with a paperbag or cardboard box. All the shells have steel heads, some are coated with a thin layer of brass. You can clean as much of the rust and corosion as you can and give them a very light coat of oil then wipe them again and store them but I would try to shoot them asap because once rust starts it will continue.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

motor oil and a scrubber. shoot real soon. junk shells when done. once they rust up to bad they get weak and chance a "blow out"

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 12:53 AM
The Man

I have t go with John on this one.

IMO I would shoot them now. For the most part shotshells are fairly chap. I would make a dat to shoot them. See, I just made you an excuse to go shooting.....

Venison - The other fast food
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thank you guys for the great advice. John, the point about WD40 is terrific....I hadn't thought of the primer damage.

Sincerely,
Tom

"Money will buy you a pretty good gun dog, but it won’t buy the wag of its tail"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

throw them away. if you have a barrel obstruction from a failed one and blow your barrel out you will wish you never tried this. if they are steel you must throw them out. a rusty ''slug'' made of pellets will cause trouble for sure. if you really want to try to salvage them put them in a ziplock full of rice and let the dry rice suck he moisture out of them.

"The only senseless killing, would be the killing of me"
-Matthew Zerby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page