got some brenneke k.o slugs. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

got some brenneke k.o slugs.

wondering if the brenneke slugs k.o it says,would be good for less than 40 yards ,and would make a good blood trail.any suggestions? i got emm for about $6-$8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: got some brenneke k.o slugs.

The K.O. slugs are great slugs. I ruun them in my smoothbore 870 and they'll clover leaf a ragged hole at 50 yards. That said, if this is for your Pardner Pump you posted about previously, you need to look at installing/buying then installing a Improved Cylinder choke tube in the barrel. It SHOULD be drilled and tapped for optics so you should be able to mount a scope or red dot type sight to it. If you just have the plain vent rib with no optics mounted, you aren't going to get any real accuraccy. You CAN however pick up a set of adjustable, open sights that mount to the vent rib which would help you zero in and yes if it's a 20 gauge, you should be good to about 70 yards or so MAX, provided you have some sort of sight/aiming system on the thing.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 11:06 PM
The Man

I was actually just about to post about these slugs. I just bought some after using Remington sluggers for a couple years. The Rems had been better than the Winchesters I'd used before, but still not giving me the kind of consistency I want. At the same time, I wasn't about to triple the price of a box of shells. The guy at the local shop suggested these, saying all the high-priced rifled slugs were a waste of money and these were the best he'd found.

I'm using them in a smoothbore slug barrel on an 870 with open sights. Testing them out, yes, they shoot a much better group than the sluggers. I feel pretty good about the consistency. The one thing is, the point of impact is WAY different than the other slugs I'd used. I found the Remingtons to have a tighter group than the Winchesters and to shoot a little lower, but not that far off. At 50 yards the K.0. slugs shot about a foot to the left and about 10" low. I wound up having to adjust my rear sight all the way to the left to get the pattern centered on the target.

I suppose sights adjust that far for a reason, and as long as it's hitting the target now that's what matters, but I've never in my life had to adjust iron sights that far off of center to put the round where it needs to go. It's a little disquieting to look at the hash marks on the sight and see the little arrow so far to the east of the meridian.

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

ok,cool,thanks,any links to the cylinder tubes? im getting a red dot tomm. so maybe i may get a buck,lol
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They are readilly available at practically any sproting goods outlet. It's a 20 gauge right? if so, you MIGHT have a little harder time finding a Imp.Cyl. choke or Cyl. choke for it but not much as it's a mossberg choke and they've been manufactured almost by the millions. On a side note. Be sure you get the barrel as HAND TIGHT as possible and when it's as tight as you can get it, with it unloaded and the chamber open, put the butt of the gun on a hard, solid, flat surface and grasp the barrel and push down, putting a good amount of your body weight on it, while turning the barrel nut as tight as it will go again. This will give you more consistant shot to shot accuracy as the barrel will tend to flop around less when it's tight.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

no its a 12 gauge,kicks nice too.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

YES THEY DO! Your Pardner is on the heavy side though so that will help with recoil. I have taken deer with those slugs a shade beyond 100 yrds (with a red dot sight), so if you get them shooting well and have a sight or optic of some sort on it, you /should be good to go.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

thanks,and especially for a 12 year old,people said 12 gauge and 20 gauge suck for smalll game well heck if ya use the right round for whatever your trying to kill your fine,ive been shooting .410 and .22 for almost 2 years,and switched to the bigger guns,they are more accurate (i think.),and especially for dove,im now addicted to shotguns,wanting a slug gun or a 10 gauge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page