What optic for a 500? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

What optic for a 500?

I just recently purchased a 500 S&W and want to put some type of optic onto it for hunting deer. Any suggestions? I was thinking about a Leupold 2x6x32 scope? Any feedback would be helpful!

Aim Small, Miss Small

Slappy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 01:05 AM
The Man

Re: What optic for a 500?

Just don't go cheap. I put a 2x BSA on my 44 mag once, and had cracked glass within 6 shots.

I then upgraded to a Bushnell 2-6, and it worked fine. You 500 will have lots of recoil so anyone with a good reputaion for customer service would be my go to.

No offence on this next thing please. If you just dropped that much cash on a new 500 don't cheap out with optics. I can see no reason to buy a $1000+ gun and put a $100 scope on it. Handgun scopes are fairly costly even for a lower end model.

Might also what to check out a holo sight or something similar. A red dot may also fill you needs. Go somewhere that has a lot of options, and check some out.

Me personally I don't like a scoped handgun for a number of reasons. Others love them. Go try a few, and get what you like with the above in mind.

May also want to buy from a BIG retailer as the customer service will typically be better than a small mom and pop shop. If it fails they will typically make it right even if the manufacturer won't.

Venison - The other fast food
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 08:14 PM
The Man

Scopes on revolver are for sissys and girls. Be a man, and shoot the open sights, like it was intended to be used!

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Banned

I had a Bushnell Holosite on a 454 Casull it worked very well.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

Burris or better. Those have been know to crack rings so you really need to go with good quality. Burris, Leupold, Aimpont, Sightron, Sawarski. if you call smith they can tell you what to use or what not to use.

"The only senseless killing, would be the killing of me"
-Matthew Zerby
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I guess I was a sissy, had a scope on my .357 and got a doe at 75 yards, 1 shot. Better to be an accurate sissy than a macho mucho dude who wounds.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 07:42 PM
The Man

So because a person uses iron sights they are inaccurate? I would bet there are a decent amount of people that post on these boards that have killed much farther than 75 yards with iron sights. Save money by not buying a scope, buy some ammo and PRACTICE, and learn to be familiar with your firearm. That is what makes good marksmanship, not just slapping a scope on.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Frequent Contributor

have a leupold on mine its fixed 2powerx28 $350.its a good scope but i want more zoom.they make a 2x8x32 around $550.its a great gun love my 500.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Borden811 i have seen u shoot before and u need more than iron sights and practice to hit the broadside of a barn. you should think about trying a scope!

Aim Small, Miss Small

Slappy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

As you know that revolver has a bunch of recoil. So I would avoid a variable scope. A variable just has more working parts to go bad(just an opinion).

I would look seriously at an Aimpoint or some type of red dot sight. They work very well out to 100 yards or farther with no problem. Or look at a Leupold 2X.

I also prefer open sights on my revolvers, but that is a personal issue, not a macho thing.

I do have one revolver with a scope. It is a S&W 44 magnum Stealth Hunter. The revolver has a Leupold Gilmore Red Dot sight and is 1X in power. Groundhogs to 150 yards are inbig trouble with this rig. So a 1X scope is more than enough. Tom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page