.22 revolver for small game! am I nuts? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

.22 revolver for small game! am I nuts?

Maybe the fall air is making me a little crazy, but I think this year I want to take a .22 revolver out for squirrels. Has anyone here done it? Better yet, has anyone ever actually killed a squirrel with one?

- Rabid Groundhog
...who can't hardly wait to get back out into the field
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 01:40 AM
Sage

Re: .22 revolver for small game! am I nuts?

Squirrels, bunnies, woodchucks, crows and a few other things over the past 28 years.

Taurus M96. Six shot, six inch barrel.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

And the range at which these animals were tagged, good sir? I'm not sure I'm patient enough to sneak within three feet of a squirrel :-D

- Rabid Groundhog
...who can't hardly wait to get back out into the field
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 02:01 AM

Absolutely! my brother and I hunt every year for squirrels with 22 revolvers. mine is a 4 inch S&W 17 and he has A M17 S&W with 6 inch barrel. lots of fun! all open sights

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 02:13 AM
The Man

The hunting of small game is fantastic. The killing of smallgame with a handgun can be very humbling.

I've hunted squirrels several times with a handgun only to come home empty handed. I even missed some easy shots. I'm not that proud. I can admit it.

I don't really know how to explain why I like trying. The challenge? The fun? Not carring if I come home with anything? Not having to carry a rifle or shotgun? Who knows, but it's a heck of a good time. I just wish I had someone to go with.

Last year one day I missed 8 squirrels in less than an hour with a handgun. 2 of them were within 10 yards. The next day I took my marlin 22 rifle. Didn't see one all afternoon. I think they know it's safe.

I hunt rabbits and squirrels with a couple friends usually during the winter (mostly rabbits). A 22 revolver comes in real handy when they aren't quite as dead as you would like. 7/8 oz of lead from a 20 gauge is a bit much in that situation. A shot from a 22 revolver to the head will take care of it quite nicely. I always carry mine when small game hunting.

Venison - The other fast food
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have used my H & R for small game for many years. I have bagged rabbits, squirrels and a grouse. It is great for finishing game that hasn't died from the shotgun and even more fun to just carry it.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 11:25 AM

Mine is a Ruger super single six and I have taken lots of small game with it. It was mostly a trapping gun but with a rest it would hit a matchbook at 25 yards everytime. Groups would really open up fast after that range though.

I never could enjoy a scoped handgun; I would much rather carry a short carbine rifle than a scoped handgun. Scoped handguns are not very handy in my opinion.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've never hunted tree rats with a handgun. I have hunted deer with a 44 mag handgun and it's very much a challenge vs carrying a rifle!

I can understand the reason you would want to try\do this. If your concerned about the knock down power of the 22LR, then look at buying the Ruger 22 revolver that has a cylinder for both 22LR, and another cylinder for 22 magnums. (I don't recall what they call this model....I just know they make it).

Then you can feel confident that with shooting a 22 magnum rimfire, when you hit it....it's gonna drop!

I have a Winchester 9422 Lever in 22 mag that I shoot the Hornady 30gr. magnum rimfire ammo and this ammo will kill a fat groundhog dead with one shot out to 125 yards easy.

FWIW

SW
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
And the range at which these animals were tagged, good sir? I'm not sure I'm patient enough to sneak within three feet of a squirrel :-D
Have taken tree rats out to about 25-30 yards. Woodchucks and crows a bit farther out. Scootin' bunnies are fun, even actually hit one now and then.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Regular Visitor

Oh man I really want to get a S&W 22lr revolver but they are on the expensive side

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page