Super Blackhawk - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Super Blackhawk

I had to send my Super Blackhawk .44 mag back to Ruger today. I shot 18 shots at the range yesterday with good results as always, and last nite while cleaning the gun, I noticed the forcing cone was split in two spots. Only shot factory ammo. Anyone ever have this happen, or have an idea why?

Alrighty then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 10:39 AM
The Man

Re: Super Blackhawk

yep. I did. It was the gun you are shooting. I bought it used, and it never shot all that great. While shooting one day I noticed the sights were sideways on the front. The forcing cone was cracked, and the barrel was cracked along the side about half the length of the barrel. Sent it back to Ruger, and about a month later it was returned to me in the condition you got it in (perfect). They replaced every part on the gun except for the frame. It shot great after that. Well, as good as I could shoot it. That was 8-9 years ago. I never shot any really hot loads out of it. Just typical hunting loads.

It just seems odd to me that that could happen again in the same way it did before. I chaulked it up to a bad barrel. Didn't really blame Ruger as I know this stuff can happen. I was just really glad knowbody got hurt.

I would call customer service at Ruger, and explain the situation. I'm sure they should have this on record, and given my experience with them should make it right.

Venison - The other fast food
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Yea I sent it back and they will evaluate it and let me know. That gun's been very accurate for me since getting it from you,I have it scoped, as a matter of fact, the day it happened I was hitting water bottles at 100yds. Didn't notice it until I went to clean it. Wonder if the timing could be off with the cylinder and its firing when the barrel and cylinder are'nt lined up exactly? I guess they'll figure it out. P.S. Love the gun.

Alrighty then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 01:03 AM
The Man

Hope it works out as it is a nice gun. I could shoot good with that gun with a scope (snuff can lids were in trouble out to 50 yards). Not so much with the open sights. I didn't care for a handgun scoped for hunting.

I would think that the accuracy would be bad if the timing was a bit off? I don't get it really. I can understand it happening once, but not twice. At least you noticed it before it got to the point I saw it in once. Looking back on it that was scary knowing it could have blown up in my hands.

Just curious, what exactly were you shooting out of it? I always shot either 200 gr Nosler HP handoads or 245 gr cast. The cast bullets were always loaded light. The 200 grainers had a bit more power. I'm thinking 22 grains of 2400 off the top of my head right now.

One last thing. Did you notice at all if the front sight was slightly canted to the right? I noticed it when I couldn't see the front sight when I was trying to shoot it.

I probably shot...boy....5-600 rounds out of it since I got it back from Ruger. Never a hickup.

I'm also curious to see if anybody else had ever had any similar problems. I was always under the impression that they were once of the most rugged 44 mags you could buy.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:41 AM
Regular Visitor

I own one and have shot several others and have never noticed that problem. Hopefully I never will...at least with mine, that is.

Very strange that it happened to the same gun twice.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

I got it back from Ruger today,new barrel and cylinder. Looks like brand new, only took 19 days total,free of charge too.That's pretty good customer service IMO. Gonna get the scope back on and see how it shoots.

Alrighty then!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Part of the Community

i have a 7.5" super blackhawk. i've shot some very stout handloads from it. just got it from gun cabinet to look at forcing cone. its ok. is yours blue or stainless?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 10:50 PM
The Man

It's blued

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

They won't tell me, but it had to be out of time to break the forcing cone like that. Brand new now and shoots great.

Alrighty then!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page