44 mag hunting loads(factory and handloads) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

44 mag hunting loads(factory and handloads)

I'm going to be hunting deer with a raging bull 44 mag with the 8 3/8" barrel. I'm looking for a good hunting load. I bought a box of the hornady lever evolution loads in 225 grain. I was wondering what others use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:04 PM
The Man

Re: 44 mag hunting loads(factory and handloads)

Cor-bon makes some really stoudt hunting loads for the .44 magnum. Check them out to see what they have.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Sage

I am using this year the Buffalo Bore 300 grn JFN load in my .45 colt. It has 1325 fps and 1170 ft lbs of energy. They make several heavy .44 mag loads you may want to look into if you gun can handle them.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Figuring your longest shot will be 100 yards....and this is assuming you have had some practice with the 44 magnum....and this would be a shot with the gun placed on a solid fence post or log....those 225 Hornady's will be all you need to take down any Pa. whitetail no matter what the size.

Any shot over 100 yards with a 44 magnum handgun is probably not ethical.

I load a 200 gr. Hornady XTP over 24.4gr. of Vihtavouri N-110 powder. This gives me an average of 1500fps velocity from my 6.5" Smith Model 29. I haven't chronographed the rubber gummie 225gr. Hornady's, but when I shot them from my Model 29, using the same point of aim, they hit the exact same spot that my handload 200 grainers do.

So, that tells me those 225 grain bullets are flyin at 1500fps or maybe even a tad faster. Good bullets. Very consistent velocity. And those rubber tips will expand and thump 'em good.

I've killed 3 doe with my 200 grain XTP load. Bang drop....get up....drop. I wouldn't think twice about using the FTX bullet. I'm sure it would do the same.

MHO

Dave

“Nothing external to you has any power over you.” -Emerson

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:56 PM

Normally I've been using winchester 240 JHPs. However this year I picked up a Marlin 1894 in 44mag. I plan on using it for bear. Thinking about trying the lever-revolutions. I also picked up a box of the federal fusion 44mags in 240. Wondering how they'll do? Anybody have a specific bear load they use in a 44mag?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My normal load for my Super Redhawk is a Hornady 240gr HP-XTP over 24.0grs of H110 with a CCI 350 primer. I've taken several deer with this load, including a nice doe last year at about 75yds.

When I decide to carry my SRH for bear, I load a 300gr HP-XTP over 20.0grs of H110.

Both loads shoot dead on at 100yds.

Steve
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Pahunter, I shot two does last season with the Hornady 44 leverevolution. A front shot at 40 yards (dropped in her tracks) second doe broadside at 25 yards. She went 20 yards and dropped. I recovered the slug from the first doe in the spine. On the second doe, the slug passed through the deer. Hornady leverevolution is what I will be using again this year. I hope this helps. Doc in Pa.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:47 AM

for pa deer i would use 200 or 220 hps or the hornady levers you really dont need the full heavy kickers for pa deer.. for about 3 years i shot 180 fp and droped 4 deer i hit with them... if your gona reload the bigest thing is finding a load that will do two things.. taim recoil and group good.. the bullet will do the rest.. for the first year i had my ruger superblack hawk i shot every thing that would take down a T-rex then was plinking once with 180 remingtons they were easy to shoot thats when i scaled it back a lot ...

but all my hunting handguns in pistol cal. all eat hornady if thers one bullet that i would swear every thing on its the XTP's
any thing u hit with that thing is going down... get a few boxes of that some H110 and some trail boss and thats all you will ever need.. if you want to jump up to big critters get your self a box of 300 XTPs that will drop every thing else in gods green earth

i started shooting with a handgun about 8 years ago.. bigest advice i can tell you is this.. shoot a mild load.. shoot a lot to get used to were the gun hits.. and get a good set of shooting sticks... i use the stony point shooting sticks and have the 3rd leg for it comes in real nice when your kneeling or on your tail side taken a break.. but if i know ill be walking a lot i use ther hiking stick

and haven a red dot helped me alot out over irons tock me from the 50 yard range to 100 yards
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:50 PM

If you don't have a reloader I know Hornady factory loads the XTP's in their Custom line. I started using them and got my mother to switch to them out of her Ruger leaver. Absolutely deadly. Hit a deer anywhere in front of the guts and they're toast.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Sage

I just ordered two boxes of the lever revolution in .45 colt after reading this thread, I got the Buffalo Bores for hogs but was going to use them for deer and I know they are over kill for deer. I hope I can report the Hornady did good for me this deer season.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page