Hand Gun Accuracy(Revolver) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Hand Gun Accuracy(Revolver)

I am in the market for a new handgun for hunting deer and ground hogs. I have several nice revolvers. Including a Stealth Hunter, and various 44 mags. I have also owned a Ruger BH Hunter that shot incredibly well(unlike my other experiences with BH's).

I do not want a scope on this new revolver.

I have been considering a Freedom arms 454 and the S&W 460. Both seem to be great. Both have their good points and bad points. If the 460 S&W wasn't so heavy then that would automatically have been my choice.

I consider good accuracy at 100 yards to be in the 3-5" range for a revolver. Smaller if it is scoped.

My Stealth Hunter easily exceeds this. Along with a BH hunter that I had.

I also have a 329 PD that will hit a brick off handed at least 4 or 5 out of six shots at 75 yards. So I am a decent shot.

I have shot a Freedom Arms revolver before. But never owned one. Are they really worth the price??

I don't like the sights on their Premier or Field grade. But I really like the sights on their sil. model. But that model is not available in 454, only 44 magnum. Not even 45 Colt.

What kind of 100 yard accuracy are some of you guys getting out of standard Ruger BH's?? I have shot a few, but they patterned at 100 yards. Is that typical?? Or have I been unlucky?? As I said above my one BH Hunter with scope shot very well. But no scope on this new one.

Is the weight on the new S&W 460 really a hindrance?? It really is a monster. But the accuracy reports I have read have been great.

Just looking for a good open discussion. Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 01:44 AM

Re: Hand Gun Accuracy(Revolver)

Best I ever saw or did was with a Va Dragoon, single action 44 mag with a 10 inch heavy barrel. The guy hund clay birds on the 100 yard target holder frame and broke 5 in a row two handed. I mentioned that he was a darn good shot and he let me try it. I broke three out of five. The shooter was a gun smith who would tune up competition pistols for customers.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 02:39 AM
Sage

Re: Hand Gun Accuracy(Revolver)

There's always the Taurus Raging Bull 454? 6.5" at 53 ounces and the 8-3/8" at 63 ounces.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page