Anyone have a Jimenez .380? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Anyone have a Jimenez .380?

I was nosing aroung the gun shop today, I was looking for something very small I can carry while cutting firewood on the ANF. I came across a Jimenez model JA380 for $150, and put half down on it. I'm was looking for something utilitarian that I don't mind getting scratched up. I checked their website, and though it doesn't sound like it, it's made in the USA(Nevada). So, does anybody have one, and does it seem like it will make a good small concealed weapon?

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:59 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone have a Jimenez .380?

No ,currently don't have one at least under THAT name brand.
Do not let it be said I look unfavorabily at inexpensive guns.
Because I do not.
Heck , I think hi point is a useable working cheap pistol.
But jimenez aka bryco aka jennings ....no.
What would a used Bersa 380 cost you?
Slightly more depending , that is true , but then you'd have something.
OR , just get a hi point instead.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

I just noted your user handle, do you have any pumas?
Not to change the topic but if so , how you liking it/them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

hunterx, I hunt deer with a puma 44-40. I love it, short and accurate, the furthest kill with it so far has been a doe at 75 yards.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

After looking at some reviews, I can honestly say I like my fingers. I'll stop at the shop in the morning and switch it out with a hi-point.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

I did stop and switch with a hi-point, they asked why, and told them that there were too many lawsuits against them.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Sage

I have heard of Jose Jimenez, but not of a Jimenez handgun.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:51 PM
The Man

Also heard of Ubaldo Jimenez but not of a Jimenez handgun.

The problem is that I don't know what I don't know.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:04 PM
Sage

Here's all you need to know:

Quote:
Unfortunately, I've some bad news. Jimenez Arms was formed from the wreckage of Bryco Arms, which declared bankruptcy after a court awarded damages to someone injured by one of their defective handguns. The LA Times reported on Feb. 4, 2005, that the California Department of Justice ordered Jimenez Arms (which is based in Costa Mesa) to stop manufacturing the JA-9 pistol on Jan. 13 of this year. (The story can be found at: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/or...tory?coll=...)

With firearms, the old adage "You get what you pay for" is truer than in many other situations. You're not alone, the very first pistol I ever bought was a $50 Jennings/Bryco J-22 that quickly shot itself apart. It's still in pieces in my gun safe waiting for the next gun buy-back program in Detroit.

As for your JA-9, I wouldn't shoot it. The article mentioned "parts coming off" the guns during testing. Considering that 9mm semi-automatic pistols harness the 360 or so foot-pounds of energy the 9mm cartridge generates upon firing to operate the weapon, that's a considerable amount of force being applied to a firearm of suspect workmanship. The last thing you'd want is for the slide to break free of the frame while firing (since when you're aiming, your face is behind the slide and that's where it's heading). At any rate, I'd find the dealer who sold you the pistol and give him a good chewing out as he should have known about the DOJ order to Jimenez Arms in January.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:41 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma4440
I did stop and switch with a hi-point, they asked why, and told them that there were too many lawsuits against them.
The hi point will serve you well as long as you don't expect too much. I have a 9mm, and it goes bang every time I pull the trigger. As much as I would like it to be smaller I normally use it when fishing. I either wear the holster or just stick it in my back pocket if wearing hip waders.

Eventhough it has adjustable sights they seem to be about worthless for fine tuning. It's no match grade gun, but it shoots just fine in instances when aiming isn't really required. At least I can't shoot it that great. Now my buddies beretta.........

Also, The manual says to field strip and clean every 1500 rounds or so. Don't bother. It takes a bit to get it apart, and a lot more to get it back together. It will test you patience for sure. There are no parts than can rust inside that gun. Just spray some gun scrubber in it every few hundred shots. Good enough.

One last thing. Mine shoots just about everything. No feeding problems at all. Always goes bang when I squeeze the trigger except in one case. Don't use the Winchester USA 115 gr bulk packs in the white box. My gun hates them, and will jam about once every 4-5 shots. Everything else I used works just fine.

Venison - The other fast food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page