Your thoughts on a X-Large Frame S&W. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Your thoughts on a X-Large Frame S&W.

If your were going to buy one would it be a 460 or 500? I'm debating which to get. Any input would be nice. Either way it will be the 10.5" barrel. Will be using it for bear, moose, and elk hunting in the future. Mainly bear and moose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 09:57 PM

Re: Your thoughts on a X-Large Frame S&W.

A lot of factors to consider. Range and site selection being top. Either will do the job. Me I would go with the 460 topped with a quality variable scope. Probably a Leupold 2-8 or Burris 3-12

P.S. The monkey really freaks DennyF out
If you stand in front of tanks the tanks are gonna win.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Leupold is def going on top of whatever I buy. Just wondering what guys shoot and for what reasons. I like both rounds that's what makes it hard. I've shot both also and see no noticeable difference in recoil and accuracy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I agree with your choice of scope. I don't own either but I've shot both several times. Either one is as accurate as the other. If your buying factory ammo and you don't reload, the 500 ammo is a little more costly than the 460. But if you reload they are probably pretty close.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 11:05 PM

I have the 460.... in the 8 inch xframe
when I made the choice it was easy 3 different types of ammo you can shoot even though I reload...this was before all this ammo not on shelves [censored] but you will see 45lc 454 or 460 faster then the 500 these days...
I have a vx3 2.5-8 on top of mine an love it got it about 3 years ago
last year midway had hornady blems ther 200 ftx it was 100 bullets for 25# I got 400 of them that should last me a few years
dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

if you're a handloader, the 500. if not, 460. or better yet, both. but the 10.5 is too big for me. you would need a shooting stick to shoot that accurately. when i buy one of those i will probably get the 4" and shoot open sites.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

I considered both of these at one time as well. I got on a kick to get into big bore hand guns. I did a lot of research. Settled on the 460. After reading reviews for the guns and the factory ammo shot out of the guns. I came to the conclusion that the 460 was very accurate at longer distances. Was more versatile because it could shoot 3 cals instead of just one. I was all ready to bite the bullet and order one. SO I started trying to find dies and components. I had a real hard time, I'm sure some things will come back in. But I just checked Midsouth, midway and optics planet. Non of them have RCBS 3 die carbide sets in stock. If you don't reload that's not an issue.

Then I went to a local shop and held one. (I know I should have done this first.) WHOOO they are huge, I'm 5' 7". And they are just monsters. So with the price of the gun and the lack of availability of reloading components. I passed and got a Ruger Black Hawk Hunter in 44 mag to handgun hunt with. Taken one doe with it last year. But I still had the big boomer itch. So I got a Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull. WHAMMMOOOO that fit the bill for me.

If I would buy one for your intended purposes, I would do what the fellas have said above, nice scope and I think some of them actually come with a lower weaver rail to mount a bi pod on or something.

Please get this one, so I can be jealous of you for all time.

When you get it, please post pictures!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page