Remington 870 Pump not ejecting shells? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Remington 870 Pump not ejecting shells?

We where shooting a round of clay birds yesterday and my sons Remington 870 would not grab the empty shell and eject. I took of the barrel a used a bench rod to nock the shell out...
Anyone have this happen to them? I was using factory ammo and my son informed that this was not the first time that this happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Remington 870 Pump not ejecting shells?

Rough chamber? Poorly cast extractor? (they aren't machined any more), Just needs cleaned? What factory ammo? (some have smaller/thinner rims than others) Could be any of the things I just listed. Take a loof in the chamber. Are there any obvious rough spots? If you can SEE any rough spots, I'd send the barrel right back to Remington. If you don't see anything out of the ordinary, carefully run a finger around the inside of the chamber, feeling for rough areas/burrs. if the chamber is good, look at the extractor. They are ALL cast parts now and can have a tendancy to have rounded edges, which can hinder extraction by allowing it to slip off the hull rim. Lastly, does the gun just need a good, thorough cleaning? Could be the notch for the extracor in the barrel, the extractor or both are clogged with gunk. Good luck.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 01:00 PM

Take a brass wire cleaning brush and wrap some fine steel wool around it. Place in a hand drill using the cleaning rod to do the whole barrel and smoooth out the chamber. Usually about 4-5 minutes will do. Give the gun a good cleaning especially around where the extracter is and it will stop the failure to eject.

Some cheap promo shells have a small rim where the extracter grabs the shell head causing this also. But go with the polishing first. This will remove many of the machining marks and make it nice and smooth. Common problem with the new 870's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Contact Remington for help.

Matthew 22:37-40
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A clean gun is a happy gun and the where the ejector is a great place for dirt and debris to gather. I use bore blast or some other spray bore cleaner and hit the bolt real good. My 870 is 25 years old and I've never had that issue or other unless it was junked up.

RIP Tuff 98-11, So many hunts, so many good times!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmaker60
Contact Remington for help.
Look at other hunting and shooting sites, Shotgun world, Duck Hunting chat, The Refuge you will see that many other people have had the same problem with newer Remingtons. Most times the problem happens to be poor finishing on the chamber due to tool marks. A little buffing will fix it 90% of the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page