Permit to carry question. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Permit to carry question.

My grandson has a friend, he just turned 21, bought a pistol, got his permit, carries the gun in his pocket with the grip sticking out, I am not sure if that is legal or not.
Seems to me your just asking for problems, questions, when folks on the street or store see a guy with a gun sticking out of his pocket.

Matthew 22:37-40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Sage

Re: Permit to carry question.

Nothing illegal about it. You lose the element of surprise by displaying the gun but it is not illegal. I may be a case of a young man saying "look at me".

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
Nothing illegal about it. You lose the element of surprise by displaying the gun but it is not illegal. I may be a case of a young man saying "look at me".
thought the same look at me..thanks for the reply.

Matthew 22:37-40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nothing illegal, but depending on the place and the people, someone could call the cops on him and then he'll have to deal with that scenario. This ain;t Texas where its not uncommon to see moms with a 45 on a belt holster.

I'd sooner carry out in the open, lets the yahoos who are thinking of doing something to go somewhere else, which reduces the chances of any situation occurring and protecting myself and family by just deterrence alone. Would sooner have em walk away then incite something and then have to respond to it. But people in this society are sheep.

RIP Tuff 98-11, So many hunts, so many good times!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Technically he doesn't even need the LTCF to open carry...as long as he is 18 or older, not a prohibited person, not in Philly, not in any form of transportation and PA is not under a state of emergency...he is good to go. I would def advise him to put an app on his phone for voice recording or purchase a separate voice recorder...just in case police would give him a hard time about it. Would be in his best interest to look into PA's carry laws as well...

Goin in early and stayin late.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Right, but part of a grip sticking out of a pocket, Is that open? or partially concealed?

Open carry is great, and concealed carry is great but where is the line drawn in between. With the permit, it doesn't really matter, but without one, makes it very subjective, especially where a sweater or jacket may hang down over part of it. If you can see the holster, but not the gun?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The way he described the 21 YO carrying he would need the LTCF...which he has. Def safer from anyone who is looking to start something...if he has his LTCF.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 02:39 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy1512
Technically he doesn't even need the LTCF to open carry...as long as he is 18 or older, not a prohibited person, not in Philly, not in any form of transportation and PA is not under a state of emergency...he is good to go. I would def advise him to put an app on his phone for voice recording or purchase a separate voice recorder...just in case police would give him a hard time about it. Would be in his best interest to look into PA's carry laws as well...
As long as he is 18 or older? I thought in PA it's 21 to carry a handgun open or concealed no matter what because you have to be 21 to buy one in PA also.

Vegetarians are cool All I eat are vegetarians except for the occasional mountain lion steak -Nugent
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdemutis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy1512
As long as he is 18 or older? I thought in PA it's 21 to carry a handgun open or concealed no matter what because you have to be 21 to buy one in PA also.
He can hunt with the handgun at 18 as long as he would have a Sportsmans Permit. 21 is the age to buy and apply for a License to Carry concealed, or to carry openly. Since the OP said he was 21 and has a License to Carry concealed everything is good.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

LTCF - allows for concealed carry...only persons 21YO or older can apply. If the pistol was gifted to him or was a family members the 18YO could open carry, legally in PA where legal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page