Suggestion for home protection pistol - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Suggestion for home protection pistol

I just had a son about 2 months ago and I'm looking for suggestions for a pistol for home protection. I would like something small enough that my wife could shoot in comfortably and something that won't hurt the checking account too much either. Revolver or auto?

The big woods of Potter County
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:20 PM

Re: Suggestion for home protection pistol

Many, many options here but suggest revolver. Ruger SP101 3 inch barrel. I'd buy the 357mag and load it with self defense 38 special loads for in house and the wife to shoot. However if she is not familiar with handguns you should really start her smaller like with a 22 LR. Oh yeah and some training and regular practice is in order, but I'm guessing you knew that. You get lots of suggestions though I'm sure.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:58 PM

I think that there is nothing better than a shotgun for in the home protection. Just the sound of someone racking a pump is enough to scare off an intruder. If your going handgun, I think a good choice would be the judge 45/410 is a good choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That whole racking the slide is a good way to give your position away. That person breaking in your home has already decided that his/her life is worth risking for whatever their intentions. In that type of high stress/pressure situation, one should only have to click the safety off.

For a pistol I would check out the Kahr P series and S&W Shield. No safety to fool and they fit smaller hands. Also a high quality high lumen light is a must.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

with an infant in the house are ya really sure you wanna be flingin .38 cal projectiles through yer house .......my choice would be a scattergun with shot less likely to penetrate walls
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to susquegander

Taurus Judge .410 some shot some slug
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 06:01 PM

I would also agree with the shotgun and penetration in the house (as well as outside the house) is a consideration. But he asked about a handgun so that was my response. No matter what you use or where you point it you own everything that comes out the other end and are responsible for what it hits wherever it hits. So choose, train/practice, strategize and aim accordingly.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My current home defense gun is a short barreled, cyl choked, Remmy 20 gauge 870 with a burris FF II sight, weapon light and loaded with 2 3/4" lead, copper plated BB handloads. The gun is SHORT, handy and very easy to manipulate in close quarters. I keep the mag tube loaded and the chamber empty. It's just me and the fiancee, so it only wears a very simple cable lock that blocks the action from closing. You might be able to cycle the action, but the gun can't ever go off with the bolt not in full-forward battery. We also have nieces, nephews and younger family members over from time to time so I wont EVER keep a condition one shotgun in the house. Having sold firearms for almost 10 years, I find that even with a trigger lock on, you can still get the saftey off and and pull the trigger if you mess with them enough. I have seen my customers do it. Nothing like standing at the counter talking with a customer and hearing "CLICK" to look over and see a customer's kid fooling with the trigger lock on a long gun. That 1 ounce, high velocity BB load will straight up flatten and intruder inside of the house but won't over-penetrate into the next room with too much punch left and the neighbors are pretty safe too. The gun is easy to control, recoils mildly and with a 200 lumen light mounted under the barrel, with the pattern centered to the beam at 10 yards, it isn't hard to get first shot hits, not to mention the fact that 200 lumen in broad daylight will leave you seeing spots for a while.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Anybody think of a .22 mag? Good penetration but not over kill. Cheap to practice with and easy to find ammo.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I saw a company (can't remember which one) devloped a personal defense round for the .22 mag for use in short barreled pistols. Supposed to penetrate deeper and still expand. Never thought of a small caliber rimfire round as a personal defense round, but then I wouldn't wana get shot with anything. I was shot with a .22 LR when I was in high school at very close range (complete accident on the part of my idiot brother lol) The bullet entered my lower left leg about mid way up, hit the fibula and bounced off, stopping just under the skin about 4" further down.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page