.22 Pistol Recommendations - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

.22 Pistol Recommendations

I'm not a handgun guy, but am thinking about buying a .22 pistol just for me & my boys to have fun with. So I'm looking for some help from people in the know! Not looking to break the bank. Semi or revolver? Reliable brand? Length of barrel? Or anything else you think important.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:16 PM

Re: .22 Pistol Recommendations

If you want to hunt with it you need a revolver. Never had a pistol but I go to a site where a lot of folks use them for squirrel and to them it is hands down the single-six which I think is a ruger. They say they are real accurate. I saw a pistol here on the classifieds that looks like my father-in-laws 22. It can shoot mags also if you change the cylinder which comes with it. His shoots good and is fun to shoot. Don't know if it is still on there. I think it is a Heritage?

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:24 PM
New Arrival

IMO, look for a Ruger MKII or a MKIII, there's not much difference between them. MKIII's have a chambered round indicator and a few other mods, both are semi w/ 10rd mags. I have a MKII that has literally 10's of thousands of rounds through it with out any issues. MKII's can be found for under $300, MKIII's will be new and about a $100's more. The after market is flooded with parts & accessories for them. BTW, don't listen to anyone that says they're hard to tear down...once you've done it once or twice it's easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:29 PM

+1 on the Mark II. I have one with the bull barrel and its fun to shoot and trouble free. Keep it clean and you will have no problems. This is a pistol your great great grandchildren could still be using.
Good Luck
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 02:15 PM

If all you plan to do is plink then most any gun is up to the task. Find one that fits and feels good. If for some reason you think you may end up doing more then look at the higher quality guns. The MkII & III are good, but my personal favorite is the Browning Buckmark. They are probably the best out of the box pistol out there. Mine is an absolute tack driver. I used to drive the guys at shoots nuts. They had high end guns that had been customized and there I was with a stock gun, shooting just as good or better then they were. Just some food for thought.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

jmls1994, If you and the boys are just starting out with a handgun, I would recommend a revolver. Just a tad safer. All the semi's listed are very good but for a beginner, revolver with 5-1/2 or 6" barrel.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 05:18 PM

I own a few .22 handguns, a Ruger Single Six, a Taurus 94, Ruger MKII, A Phoneix Arms HP-22.

For pure enjoyment I shoot the Ruger MK II the most. It has a bull barrel and is 5.5" in length. It has a good trigger and really nice adjustable sights. I also hunt squirrels at times with the singel six but with the 22 mag cylinder in it. The Taurus 94 revolver feels and handles like a nice revolver but just is not as accurate as the MKII. Someday I would like to get a S&W revolver. I seen a few of them that were scary accurate....
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

For just a fun gun to shoot with the kids it is pretty tough to beat the Ruger Single Action 22. They are not the most accurate, but are more than accurate enough for fun shooting and short distance squirrel hunting. I do alot of point shooting with a couple that I have, and they are a great inexpensive way to learn how to shoot.

If you want a semi then I would take the advice from the fellow above and go with the Browning. Yes the Ruger's are nice but the Browning's will out shot the Ruger's. He is correct. I have a Buckmark silhouette that will drive 20 penny nails at 15 yards. And that is not a joke, the pistol will do it. And yes I realize that is a 1/2" group-but this is not just internet talk. The Browning's really will shoot. Tom.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 11:01 PM

jmls1994, I have a .22 revolver for sale in the hunting and fishing for sale section. H&R 9 shot 22 revolver. Its in great shape. Pics in the post
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 02:30 AM

if you wanna semi, i favor the browning buckmark over the ruger...its a personal thing..both shoot equally well..i just could never figure the trick out to cleaning a ruger...it was a royal pain....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page