870 supermag or 835 ultimag - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

870 supermag or 835 ultimag

Opinions on which one is superior?

Any bad experiences with either one?

‎"When the mind fails to comprehend, the body must be punished" -3rd Battalion,Parris Island
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 870 supermag or 835 ultimag

I have a 835 and no problems with it except when I short-shuck with 3 1/2 loads. Has been to Canada, Missouri 2 times and around here and quite a few steel shells fired.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i have both sitting at the house. i like the rem more and its the one i hunt with. no problems with the 835 but the rem is better built in my opinion. just get what you like
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:09 PM

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:33 PM
The Man

870 .

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:03 PM

both are great guns, with the slight edge going to the Mossberg if you want to shoot steel shot, with it's overbore barrel. I don't necessarily agree the Rem's are "built better", and I'm a BIG remington fan. I have an 870 supermag and love it, never had an issue. I have shot the 835, but don't shoot it as well. The Mossbergs fit me differently than the Remingtons and I shoot the Remingtons MUCH better as a result...

Pick whichever fits YOU best...can't go wrong with either one.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:17 PM

835 no problems ever many years, and a ton of shots down its barrel
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bownut
both are great guns, with the slight edge going to the Mossberg if you want to shoot steel shot, with it's overbore barrel. I don't necessarily agree the Rem's are "built better", and I'm a BIG remington fan. I have an 870 supermag and love it, never had an issue. I have shot the 835, but don't shoot it as well. The Mossbergs fit me differently than the Remingtons and I shoot the Remingtons MUCH better as a result...

This is going to be a stupid question but what advantage does the overbore barrel give the 835?

I just got the 835 and was thinking about trading it in for a supermag. The newer ones fit me a lil bit better with that longer forend that goes all the way to the receiver. I'm used to shooting a semi and keep my front hand pretty much at the edge of receiver and forend on that.
With the mossy, I've been practicing pulling up with my front hand out farther, may sound dumb but its alot different than what I'm used to.

‎"When the mind fails to comprehend, the body must be punished" -3rd Battalion,Parris Island
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtUSMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bownut

This is going to be a stupid question but what advantage does the overbore barrel give the 835?

I just got the 835 and was thinking about trading it in for a supermag. The newer ones fit me a lil bit better with that longer forend that goes all the way to the receiver. I'm used to shooting a semi and keep my front hand pretty much at the edge of receiver and forend on that.
With the mossy, I've been practicing pulling up with my front hand out farther, may sound dumb but its alot different than what I'm used to.
Right from the mossberg website:

"Each and every component of the 835® was designed and tested around the demanding requirements of high-power 3 1/2" 12 gauge magnum ammo. Unlike other new-comers to this specialized market, who just modified their existing 2 3/4" - 3" shotguns, the 835® was designed to stay the course. The robust bolt, receiver, and other components are specifically sized for the longer shells and the downrange punishment they dish out.

In addition, all 835® Ulti-Mag® smooth bore barrels are overbored to 10 gauge bore dimensions, reducing recoil and producing exceptionally uniform patterns from both light and heavy shot charges. Working in tandem with the performance-enhancing overbored barrels, strategic placement of eight ports on each side of the 835® barrel direct gasses upward and outward to not only reduce felt recoil, but to minimize muzzle jump for quick second shot recovery. "
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Are all 835's over-bored? SGT's gun is not ported.

Please help us find a cure for Cystic Fibrosis: Kaelyn's Kure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page