Remington 870 Super Mag w/ Camo 3 1/2" Opinions? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Remington 870 Super Mag w/ Camo 3 1/2" Opinions?

Anyone out there have an Remington 870 Super Mag with the camo? I saw one in Dicks Sporting goods and also noticed there is a $30 rebate. Anyone hunting turkeys with them? What are your thoughts? How does the camo last when it comes to typical honest use? I have concerns that it may wear off pretty easy.

I have been hunting turkeys with a SP-10 10 Ga for about ten years and I am pretty happy with it, but I like the option of having a camo covered gun that I can use for turkey and also take it out for crows and small game with use of 2 3/4" shells.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 01:14 AM
The Man

Re: Remington 870 Super Mag w/ Camo 3 1/2" Opinions?

I have an 11-87 Supermag with the camo that I've been using for three seasons now. I tend to be fairly hard on stuff, but it still looks like it's right out of the box. No problems. Good luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a 870 Supermag and have had no issues with it hunting turkey, waterfowl or deer (I'm in 2B). Mine only has the camo stock and forend. I switch the stock out from regular to a Surshot for turkey and deer. Camo seems fine. I cannot speack for how it holds up on the metal parts though. I have had mine 5 years. IMO you can't go wrong with a 870.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I bought an 870 Super Mag with full factory camo finish for my wife. The camo hasn't shown any signs of wear in three years of use during spring turkey.
I also have an 11-87 with the older Mossy Oak factory finish. The gun is 10 years old and still looks new. Both guns see 20 or more days in the field each year.
The only trouble that I've seen with newer Remingtons is in the flat black/blued finishes on the tubular magazines, action bars and trigger group. They have a texturized finish similar to Parkerizing but have a tendency to oxidize quickly if not immediately wiped down with an oily cloth.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Frequent Contributor

I love my 870 Super Mag. It's full Realtree AP camo and the camo does, like you said, give you more versatility. I get better patterns with all types of loads than with any other shotgun I've ever owned.

Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight .30-06
Marlin 336CS .30-30
Beretta A300 Outlander 12 ga.
Mossberg International Silver Reserve II 12 ga.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a new 870 super mag full camo just bought it last spring used it hard during turkey season and by the end of the season the camo was wearing off the receiver. How ever the gun shoots great and I wouldn't get rid of it just because the camo is wearing off.

"I don't shoot well but I shoot often" -Teddy Roosevelt
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 03:34 AM
New Arrival

The Remington 870's quality has come down a bit in the last few years. Many people have been reporting rusting on the receiver within months of ownership. I'd imagine the camo would help to protect it but, as taylord has already said, if it is rubbing off after one season I question the quality of the finish.

Molon Labe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page