Sportsman's Firearm Permit and holster type - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Sportsman's Firearm Permit and holster type

I've been looking all over for an answer to this question so forgive me if it's already been answered. If one has a Sportsman's Firearm Permit and no LTCF, would it be considered 'concealed' if you were handgun hunting with a 'flap' type holster that showed no part of the handgun? I am talking about an actual commercial holster and not a fanny pack or other such carrier. The best I could come up with in the law is that it has to be obvious to the 'average' person that you are 'openly' carrying. That's pretty vague, IMO.

Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 03:37 PM

Re: Sportsman's Firearm Permit and holster type

I agree, the letter of the law is very vague here. I doubt you would run afoul of the law with a standard full flap holster in plain view on the outside of your clothing.

Also, I've never run into a game warden that would give you grief over that. I used to hunt with a 44 SA with a full flap when I was in college and even carried it on a motorcycle and no one ever gave me a 2nd look. But that was in the early 80s in Lock Haven.

A local regular LEO who happened to see you walking around state game lands from his cruiser might be another thing all together.

Why don't you just get the CC permit and then you don't have to give it a second thought.

Big LSWC's rule
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Since I don't do concealed carry it has never occurred to me the advantages of such....except in this case of a flap holster. The only time I travel with a firearm is to and from a range and to hunting camp and back. Times seem to be changing however and I'll look at all the pros and cons once this federal mess is over with. [censored] they may end up requiring an LTCF just to own a handgun let alone concealing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Sage

You may carry your handgun concealed while you are actually hunting. You may not carry it concealed when on your way to hunt or on the way home. Even if you were not allowed to carry the gun concealed, a holster with a flap would not be concealing the gun if the hilster is showing.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
You may carry your handgun concealed while you are actually hunting. You may not carry it concealed when on your way to hunt or on the way home. Even if you were not allowed to carry the gun concealed, a holster with a flap would not be concealing the gun if the hilster is showing.
While I don't expect them to, the PSP does not make this clear and neither does the Game Commission. It's almost like they leave it vague on purpose. In fact the PSP makes it quite clear that a Sportsman's Permit does not give one the right to carry a concealed firearm....the question is whether they 'could', for whatever reason, trump you up on a concealed without a license charge. The point here is that the law is vague and what a game warden might seem perfectly normal a local LEO having a bad day may not. Which brings up another point and that is if you are lawfully hunting per a game warden's opinion but a local LEO has another opinion, who's authority trumps who say in a State Forest or Gameland? Also it has been my understanding that when traveling for legit reasons (hunting, range , etc) your firearm can be concealed just not 'on or about your person' or otherwise accessible. That's why you unload, put it in it's case and lock it in the trunk or some other locked container.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 PM
New Arrival

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

I know you read this, we all have and continue too. Just make it easy and get a concealed permit. This way if you are hunting and you forget to take it off and unload it you are OK. Just remember to tell them, if you get pulled over. Carrying a holstered gun visible is not concealed. Carrying a 44 mag like Plexico is dumb and concealed you got problems.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Sage

Since the PGC has nothing to do with firearms carry laws, it is not withing their perview to be puting out information regarding how to carry a handgun.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 05:06 AM
Part of the Community

A Sportsmans Permit as provided by 6106(c) allows a person to carry conceal to, from, and during hunting, fishing, and trapping so long as you have the proper sporting license.

Title 18, chapter 61, subchapter 6106(b)(9) specifically says:

Quote:
(9) Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers or fishing as permitted by such licenseor are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places.

If you have to track your game, then you aren't using a big enuff gun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page