Semiautomatic hand gun in addition to hunting gun? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Semiautomatic hand gun in addition to hunting gun?

Would it be legal to carry a semiautomatic handgun while hunting with a legal long gun for predators.. Would be nice to take the 45 1911 predator hunting in NEPA instead of carrying a 1 1/2 barreled 357 mag double action. The semi would be for protection only from black bears and bands of crazy hippies.
I am thinking I would have to have a permit from the sheriffs department to do this and can not carry it on the permit that you use with your hunting license or fishing license?????

Or would I have to go a buy a 44 Mag double action?

See this is kind of the antiquated laws we have here in Pa.. That guy with the pointed ears use to say it right? "This Is Not Logical!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 05:26 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Semiautomatic hand gun in addition to hunting gun?

Maybe I am wrong, But a concealed weapons permit would allow you to carry any normal carry or protection type handgun. If you were small game hunting with a shotgun and had a .44 mag with long barrel and scope, The "man" would have to assume its not for protection from predator or hippie.
If you can carry a 1911 into WallyWorld, you can carry it in the woods, for protection.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

and i bet if you used said semi auto handgun in the process of killing a coyote that was actively engaged in attacking you...and a WCO witnessed said event...you could STILL be charged with using an illegal firearm to hunt with. Under no circumstances are you to use a semi auto or full auto handgun in the process of hunting. You ARE permitted to have it on your person for self protection from other humans though.

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

Jay I donít think I would go that far, self-defense is just that, now proving self-defense may be another story, But Bear, Yote. Or even a rabbi ness animal attack. would clearly fall under self -defense.
Self-defense is a right, written into the Pa Constitution.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Sage

Self defense against a Rabbi?

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Sage

Only if they're brandishing their bris kit.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Sage

Don't let the hole in my haircut fool you....I used to be a hippie.

What I find interesting in this thread is folks speaking of proving they are innocent......whatever happened to LE proving you're guilty?

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
Self defense against a Rabbi?
LOL....now that's funny!

Steve
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes, with the LTCF you can carry a semi-auto for self-protection.....which is normally from two-legged creatures.

However, should you be attacked by a wild animal, or even a domesticated animal, you can use whatever you have to protect yourself.

If you kill an attacking bear the PGC will investigate the shooting and determine if you were indeed being attacked. It's not going to matter what you used, if they determine you were being attacked and had no choice but to defend yourself, its not going to matter what you used.

Steve
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i was being sarcastic about being attacked by a 'yote. odds of that happening are VERY slim. "defending" yourself against a yote would likely not be a situation any of us would ever find themselves in. I took the OP as stating they think we should be able to kill animals with semi-auto hg's and I would still be willing to bet the attackee would be charged with unlawful firearm...he was in the woods actively engaged in hunting...with a weapon that is NOT authorized for killing game, and he kills game with it...might be an interesting day in court, and you might have to share your coffee and donuts while you explain y'self a bit

Move on...

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page