Can you help me figure this out? Choke - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Can you help me figure this out? Choke

Soooo, I went to the range today and the 12g model of my 20g fell in my lap by happenstance. I'd been fretting about getting a deer gun (we're in special regs) so I grabbed it, making a "married pair" as the gentleman who owns the range and shop called it . He was actually on his way out to give the gun away to someone as barter but happened to get it out when he had a question about my magazine on my 20 (he helped me get it plugged up with a pencil - is that normal?).

Anyway, a twist of luck brought me and this gun together, but I am not sure about some things. It's an older model, Savage 67e like my 20g. My 20g is a fixed full choke, though, and this is a newer model with an interchangeable choke barrel. The choke that came with it is unmarked. It has two notches on it, though. Can anyone tell me what kind of choke this is? Then, I need to figure out how to get other chokes...

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 10:10 PM

Re: Can you help me figure this out? Choke

2 x notches usually means Improved Modified. BUT, I am not sure that this is ALWAYS the case. As far as a plug goes, I would get a piece of dowel rod and us that as a plug. It's more substantial and less likely to get jammed in the spring. Good luck wiht your gun, sounds like a winner.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, that's what I read, too, but then I got nervous maybe that wasn't the case in 1984 or whenever this gun was made. I really love my 20, so I was REALLY happy to find this. I'm pretty cheap, um, I mean <span style="font-style: italic">frugal</span>, so the price was right. I was not looking forward to shelling out for something more expensive, and not knowing what might work for me. This one fits better than my 20 even. But with those older guns, there are always some things to figure out. I will work on getting a dowel in there. Now that I've seen how to do it, it should be a piece of cake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Sage

In the older guns the test was that if a dime wouldnt fit in the barrel at the business end it was a full choke...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 12:10 AM
The Man

You can get yourself one of these, and check it to be sure....

Choke Tester

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 01:24 AM
Regular Visitor

We looked around again, and it turns out the choke tube has two notches for the choke wrench, <span style="font-style: italic">but no other notches</span>! I found sites that suggested this means skeet and that it means extra full. Would you be able to tell visually if it was extra full? I can't see any visible constriction at all.

Some sites seem to say that Winchester choke tubes will fit, but at least one I found said they're not a perfect fit. Does anyone know where we might find older Stevens choke tubes?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 04:22 AM
The Man

You need to buy ones of those gauges to tell for sure......they are less than 10 dollars.......

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822
You need to buy ones of those gauges to tell for sure......they are less than 10 dollars.......
We're on it! It's on order and they took my money so it's probably shipping. I checked around and got good advice that Winchoke tubes will likely be the ticket if we can't find the originals (or if this choke is not sufficient for what we need).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page