Mossberg 695 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Mossberg 695

I bought a used Mossberg 695 back in the fall, and finally got it to the range.

Seems Remington Copper Solids are the front runner for accuracy, which is fine. I shot some Lightfields, and HOLY COW do they kick! I shot the 3", 1 1/4oz slugs, and I've never experienced recoil like that. I've shot M1903 Springfields and M1 Garands for long afternoons, shooting over a hundred rounds at a session, and had no issues. 5 Lightfields were all I could take!

Anyway, I noticed that some of the slugs had very hard bolt lift after firing. Anyone else having this issue with a Mossberg 695? I was shooting Copper Solids, Lightfield Hybrid EXP's, and Hornady SST's (and the Hornady slugs were not impressive in accuracy, either).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:55 AM
The Man

Re: Mossberg 695

I would think the bolt lift issue is the product of too high of chamber pressure.

BTW, I NEVER shoot 3" slugs. They normally don't shoot as good, kick way harder, cost more money, and only shoot about 100fps more.

The 2.75" slugs kick bad enough.

Venison - The other fast food
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

I had read an article from the guys at Tar-Hunt that recommended 3" slugs for improved accuracy, so that's why I tried them. The recoil was nuts, though.....and the 2 3/4" Copper Solids shot as well (or possibly better) for much less recoil. Those weren't bad at all.

It wasn't necessarily the 3" shells, though, that were sticky to extract. The Hornadys and Remingtons did it, too (both 2 3/4 shells). I can't imagine a 2 3/4 Copper Solid is developing too much chamber pressure? I thought of that, but just seems odd for that to be the case.

I had cleaned the bolt when I got the gun and lightly oiled it. Perhaps just a good "once over" on the bore and chamber are in order.

The Lightfields shot a 3-shot, 100 yard group at 1.89" center-to-center, and I only had 3 Copper Solids, one of which was a sighter. The other two shot for a "group" measured 0.89" center-to-center.

The Hornadys were awful for accuracy. I didn't measure, but probably an 8" (or more) "group" at 100 yards.

Kind of the odd thing is that the 3" shells feed better because of the added weight and length. They eject worse because of the length (the ejection port is juuuuuuuust long enough for them), and the 2 3/4's eject easy and clean.

A couple guys I hunt with use Federal slugs (the ones with the Barnes "expander" rounds in them) and find the accuracy excellent and the recoil mild (relatively speaking), so maybe I'll try them along with a few more of the Copper Solids to see what it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 11:43 AM
The Man

Your shoulder has got to be close to mush by now

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 11:49 AM

Funny cause I had mine out on the range on Sunday sighting in a new scope. Which by the way was a horrible decision, being that I had to get a UHAUL and move my furniture the next day.
Man did my shoulder take a beating!!!! I shot some of the el cheapo rifled sluggers first to get on paper and do some dialing. Then gave the barrel a quick run through and started to group. I am shooting the Hastings Laser Accurate slugs out of my 695. The hit your shoulder reaaaallly hard. They shoot the same POI as the Lightfield at less cost.
I should go out and try the Copper solids just to see their accuracy.
A couple of my 2 3/4 shells also had some issues ejecting and the bolt actually semi-locked up on one of the sluggers.
My shoulder still hurts by the way.

‎"When the mind fails to comprehend, the body must be punished" -3rd Battalion,Parris Island
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt/fish365
Your shoulder has got to be close to mush by now
Shot 5 Lightfields, 5 Hornadys, and 3 Remingtons.

I also shot most of a box of .30-06 through my M1 and half a box of Swiss 7.5x55. Of course, those were pretty tame compared to the beast the 695 was with the Lightfields.

My shoulder was red and purple in places by the time I got home from the range, and the range is 4 miles from my house. Once I settle on a slug and such, I think I'm going to hand the gun to a local smith and have him do two things.... (1) Install either a LimbSaver or a Decelerator pad on the stock, and (2) take the creep out of the trigger (if possible).

SgtUSMC, your bolt gets a little tough to run with those slugs, too? Maybe it's just how the gun is machined. It's a lot like a Mosin-Nagant bolt. It's not a problem to function it, but I'm guessing I can't keep it mounted on my shoulder and crank the bolt like I do with my rifles. If I dismount it and work it, that shouldn't be a problem. Just can't be as fast on it as I am with my Model 70.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Part of the Community

I own one it started going off, by itself. After the chamber was tight from shooting remington slugs. I found out many were under recall, that is why many guys sold them.
http://www.mossberg.com/content.asp?id=558
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

I've checked that out. Mine does not fall within the serial numbers listed.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:21 PM

I have one of the 695 also. I've tried several brands of ammo, and the winchester supreme partition golds shot very well out of it. I also only shoot the 2 3/4" shells, 385 grain if memory serves me correct. I've been very happy with the results of the deer I've harvested.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:24 PM
The Man

I use those slugs too out of my mossberg 500. They are devistating on deer. At first it didn't seem bad, but once I got the skin off the entire offside rib cage was bloodshot. That was after traveling 102 yards loosing energy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page