ithaca model 37 featherlite - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

ithaca model 37 featherlite

is there a way to change this shotgun from modified to improved.I heard that improved is much better for pheasants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:12 PM

Re: ithaca model 37 featherlite

You have a couple options for this question. First off I am going to assume you have an older made 37. One that was made in Ithaca, NY. You can A. have a polly choke put on. This will allow you to choose from several different chokes. B you could just look for another barrel that is improved. Purchase that barrel and then have both barrels at your dispose. C I believe you might be able to have a smith either bore out your choke to improved or tap and thread your barrel so your ithaca could accept several different kinds of screw in chokes.
I personally would just look for another barrel. They are common and would most likely be more affordable than all the rest of the options because you will need a smith. Best of luck. If you have anymore questions about 37's feel free to ask. I know them inside and out. My favorite shotgun.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

An interesting question.
am not a gunsmith but you could send the the barrel out to get choke tubes.
However, this modification to the original barrel will significantly lower its value, IMO.

Regarding MOD vs, IC barrels for pheasants, the IC is great if in weedy cover/thickets and the flushes are close.
However, why not look for another barrel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

FYI:
ACEacher's post appeared microseconds before mine.
Interesting that the both of us said the same thing: get another barrel.

Also, upon reflection, I'm not sure that an older Ithaca's barrel is thick enough to be modified for choke tubes.

Would be more fun to get a flushing dog and take the longer shots. LOL
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Sage

The older Mod 37's have to have barrels fitted. not a direct replacement.

Just a heads up.

Si if you do find a barrel, and they are out there, take it to a compentent gunsmith to make sure everything is as needs to be.

Great guns, I have two. Plan never to be without them. Reliable, light, and ....reliable.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I myself wouldn't butcher the gun. I would just buy another gun that fits your needs. My featherlite is my favorite gun and I would never modify it.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It depends on how old your gun is. Guns before serial number 855000 have fitted barrels, they dont readily interchange. Guns post 855000 barrels of the same gauge interchange with receivers post 855000.
You can do a polychoke, which is 100% effective, and 200% UGLY!
You can have THINWALL choke tubes installed in your barrel, since its a MOD barrel, there is some meat on it.
Its important to know that 37's are very sentimental, not very valueable. A good field grade in nice shape is a $300 gun, so your not painting over a Picasso if you alter it.
My main question is why IC for pheaseants? Your 37 is a totally perfect pheasant gun with a modified choke. In my opinion, IC would be limiting the guns effectiveness.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:18 PM

Today is Born2Hunt's birthday!

Nothing wrong with a modified for pheasants. All depends on the distance you shoot pheasant on the average.

Modified Choke - The modified is characterized by less constriction than full choke, delivering approximately 60 percent of a shell's total pellets in a 30" circle at 40 yards. Excellent for all-around hunting of waterfowl, long-range flushing of upland birds (such as late-season pheasant and sharptail grouse) as well as other small game. Also used for trap shooting.

Improved Cylinder Choke - Even less constricted than modified, the improved cylinder distributes approximately 50 percent of a shell's total pellets in a 30" circle at 40 yards. Ideal for close-in small game shooting, upland bird hunting (such as quail, grouse and pheasant) as well as hunting waterfowl close over decoys.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i'd disagree with the IC choke for pheasants. i think that modified is idea. IC for grouse is a different story though.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Logger
It depends on how old your gun is. Guns before serial number 855000 have fitted barrels, they dont readily interchange. Guns post 855000 barrels of the same gauge interchange with receivers post 855000.
You can do a polychoke, which is 100% effective, and 200% UGLY!
You can have THINWALL choke tubes installed in your barrel, since its a MOD barrel, there is some meat on it.
Its important to know that 37's are very sentimental, not very valueable. A good field grade in nice shape is a $300 gun, so your not painting over a Picasso if you alter it.
My main question is why IC for pheaseants? Your 37 is a totally perfect pheasant gun with a modified choke. In my opinion, IC would be limiting the guns effectiveness.
Totally agree with Joe's advice on the thin-wall chokes. Both Briley and Colonial Arms make them. I have Colonial Arms chokes in an Ithaca Model 600 O/U. I did check with a local gunsmith on putting the same choke in an older Model 37 Modified barrel that I have. The barrels are so thin that he thought that even with the thin-walled chokes the barrel might have to be cut back 3-4" to get to where the barrel walls were a little thicker. So while it worked great in my O/U I don't think it's worth doing in the 37. It's better to buy a new barrel that fits your age gun or stick with the mod choke. In a double barrel I can select IC or Mod with a flip if the finger. Like someone else said, unless your hunting where flushes are almost always close, a mod in a single barrel shotgun might be best most of the time. You could also try patterning different shotgun loads to try to find one that gives you a more open pattern in your current barrel. That may be your best option.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page