SBE2 and shells? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

SBE2 and shells?

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but I had a couple questions regarding my SBE2 and some shells I have. I'm not an expert by any means regarding types of shells/shot, and how they could affect the barrel. I was wondering if it is safe to shoot 2 3/4, 1 1/8oz. BB Steel shot through my barrel, and if so, can I use any of the choke tubes? I've never used steel shot through any guns before, and wasn't sure if it had any negative effect on the barrel. All I've put through my gun are target loads, and turkey rounds (5, 6 shot, etc.). I'm assuming it is Ok for the steel shot, being that the gun is a waterfowl gun, but wanted to make sure before doing any sort of damage. Also, I have a box of buckshot (forget the size, I'm thinking they're the bigger pellets, with maybe only an est. 9 in each shell?) that I was potentially going to use for close range coyote hunting. Are these safe to shoot through the gun, and if so, should I use my least restrictive choke tube? It's just not worth doing any damage to my gun to shoot these rounds, so I just wanted to double check. Thanks in advance for any help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 04:52 PM
The Man

Re: SBE2 and shells?

Read the side of the factory chokes that came with the gun. It says right on them if you can use steel. The IM and the F chokes say no steel. The largest size shot you can legally use for coyotes is #4 buck. If those shells only have 9 pellets they are certainly larger than #4 and you can't legally use them. For target use/ home defense, shoot them through your cylinder choke.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 04:57 PM

Do not use a full choke or anything tighter than full with steel. Other than that pattern the gun with the loads and choke you want to use and see what works best for the anticipated range(s) of shots you might get. Steel will usually pattern a little tighter than the same choke using lead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a Benelli Super Nova and I shoot Steel BB's and 2's out of the factory modified choke. The chokes will say whether or not you can shoot stell shot out of them.

A haiku is just like a normal American poem, except it doesnt rhyme and is totally stupid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page