The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Checkering

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  mike76er 
#1 ·
I started this project last year when a good friend bought his GF a Benelli Montefeltro for sporting clays. She is a little thing and the stock was just too long for her. He wanted me to cut 4" off and after thinking about it I told him he was crazy. I offered to make a new stock with her measurements and he would still have the factory stock if he wanted to ever sell it. The stock was completed last spring but not finished or checkered and she shot with it all summer. Her scores went from 10 or less to the low 50s and they are very happy.

I got the stock back mid January and finished it to match the original then started with the checkering. After measuring the LPI on the factory stock at 18 I started the first pannel Saturday afternoon 2/9 and completed it yesterday 2/11.

I wish my pics were better but it is what it is. Also thought some may want to see what goes into a checkering job so im going to take pics of the start to finish on the second pannel. More pics coming as I get time to work on it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Getting back to this, the original pattern was traced and a template was made. After tapeing it to the stock the outside of the pattern was gone around with a X-acto knife. The two master lines were also cut using a ruler to devide the pattern in four parts. All cut lines were then gone over with a V-tool gouge to make them deeper.

Then useing a Short Curve cutter the outside border was gone over.

The two master lines were cut with a layout cutter. This cutter has a little bigger blade and makes long straight cuts. Next will come the spaceing which is 18 LPI.

Till next time...

#4 ·
At this point its time to start cutting lines. The two master lines have to be set up right or your diamonds will either come out too short or too long. This pattern was copied off the original so they are right. The lines are cut with a right or left hand spacing cutter at the proper LPI.

I started out going right off the master line. The spacing is everything and if you screw it up it will look like ****. The lines have to be straight and it helps to keep the depth the same on every cut.

When your done going right you change the cutting head and start cutting to the left.

More to come but I have to give my eyes a break!

#5 ·
So its Saturday and my goose hunting partners left me home with the wife so I might as well be productive. Again off the other master line I went right and spaced the rest of the pannel.

Once the spacing is complete I go back to my single line cutter and deepen the lines working right and left off the master lines. Each time I go over the entire pannel I also deepen the outside border to keep it at the same depth. As you cut the lines deeper there will be less shine and finish on the top of the diamonds. The pannel is complete when each diamond is pointed. When you rub your finger over the pannel it will catch your finger which is the reason stocks are checkered. At this point I clean the pannels up with a tooth brush and its ready for stain.

After the staining here are the two stocks side by side. In this pic you can see how short the new stock is compaired to the original.

And thats a wrap. I will let the stain dry for a few days before I reassemble the gun. Hope I did'ent bore anyone with this and that maybe you will give it a try for your self.

Pappy

#12 ·
30-06kid said:
How long does something like that take to do. And long to master it.
I would say it takes about 8 hours per pannel start to finish on a easy pannel like this one. I do not consider myself a "master" by any means. Lets just say I have done a few and learn something new each time.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.