Turkey Gun Gunsmith - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Turkey Gun Gunsmith

Does anyone know of a good gunsmith who specializes in improving shotguns for turkey hunting?

I have a Mossberg 835, I'm happy with the gun, but I know I can make it better. I'm looking to improve the pattern out around 40 yards & past.

I've heard all the arguments about keeping shots within 30 yards, so I'm not looking to start that debate again. I've also spent $$ (chokes & different brands of shells) and a lot of hours patterning the gun, I've done the best I can with what I have. Now it's time to give a professional a try.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Turkey Gun Gunsmith

Doesn't the 835 have an overbored barrel? So I would ask what additional benefits can be gained from 'smithing when the obvious enhancements like lengthening the forcing cone, adding a tighter choke, and polishing the bore might be a moot point on your barrel.

It's not that tighter patterns beyond 40 yards can't be attained, it is small lead shot's ability to penetrate a turkey's topknot and vertabrae that becomes the issue.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/shoo...hot-kill-turkey

But I'd recommend Curtis Wilbanks who has done work for me before if you chose to go that route.
http://www.guncustomizing.com/
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setters4Life
Doesn't the 835 have an overbored barrel? So I would ask what additional benefits can be gained from 'smithing when the obvious enhancements like lengthening the forcing cone, adding a tighter choke, and polishing the bore might be a moot point on your barrel.

It's not that tighter patterns beyond 40 yards can't be attained, it is small lead shot's ability to penetrate a turkey's topknot and vertabrae that becomes the issue.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/shoo...hot-kill-turkey

But I'd recommend Curtis Wilbanks who has done work for me before if you chose to go that route.
http://www.guncustomizing.com/
Thanks for the reply.
I hear you, I know an 835 basically takes a 10 gauge barrel & tapers down to a 12 guage. But I also believe the barrel still has a forcing cone, at least it looks that way to me. But I don't claim to be any type of gunsmith.
I know guys who consistently kill turkeys at 50 yards (and past), with todays shells & chokes I'm fairly certain I can accomplish this with my gun; I'd be happy to be ethically able to drop a bird at 50 yards. I've always used #4 shot, I don't know if there's not enough pellets to create this type of pattern at 50 yards or not. I don't want to give up on this idea until I'm 100% certain I've exhausted all my options.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

#4's possess the smack needed, that's for sure; you just need a lot of them to get a dense pattern at the longer ranges. Email Curtis and he will respond to your questions and offer insight. His work is good and relatively inexpensive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page