Concealed Carry Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Concealed Carry Question

My girlfriend and I each own handguns, we are each legally permitted to own and purchase firearms and we each have current concealed carry permits (for PA).

My question is can she concealed carry a handgun purchased by me and registered in my name? Or can she only carry a handgun that she purchased and is registered in her name?

Benefactor Life Member of NRA, Trout Unlimited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 03:00 PM

Re: Concealed Carry Question

Yes, but if she gets stopped you may have to confirm that you lent it to her. LEOs are still using the purchase records as a gun ownership record.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capri_180
... My question is can she concealed carry a handgun purchased by me and registered in my name? ...
Try not to use the "R" word.

As Joe said, in Pennsylvania, it's a database of firearm sales ... and hopefully we can keep it from ever becoming a "Registration" database.

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is no registration in PA.

Yes, since she has a valid LTCF, you can "lend" her a handgun.

§ 6115. Loans on, or lending or giving firearms prohibited.
(a) OFFENSE DEFINED. — No person shall make any loan secured by mortgage, deposit or pledge of a firearm, nor, except as provided in subsection (b), shall any person lend or give a firearm to another or otherwise deliver a firearm contrary to the provisions of this subchapter.
(b) EXCEPTION. —
(1) Subsection (a) shall not apply if any of the following apply:
(i) The person who receives the firearm is licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109 (relating to licenses).

Steve
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone for the great input & answers!

Benefactor Life Member of NRA, Trout Unlimited
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 02:04 AM

This question is one that I have wondered about for some time. How "far out" can you lend a hand gun to a LTCF card carrier?

Hunting regulations only allow the owner to carry a handgun in hunting season, correct?

You can have it when you rip it from my cold, dead hands.........
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 02:21 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

As long as the person has a VALID LTCF you can loan one to anyone... it does NOT have to be a family member... And as far as carrying while hunting, as long as you have a LTCF you may do so... HOWEVER... if your LTCF is a SPORTSMANS LTCF then you can only carry one that is LEGAL for the game species you are hunting for during the legal season. If you have a "Protection" LTCF then you can carry it along with a rifle for deer as example. Hope that answers your question

4C

**** GO Pack GO ****
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon8777
This question is one that I have wondered about for some time. How "far out" can you lend a hand gun to a LTCF card carrier?

Hunting regulations only allow the owner to carry a handgun in hunting season, correct?
There is no time limit on how long you can lend or borrow a handgun. Could be a day, week, year, years, etc.

As already stated, if you have a LTCF then you can carry any handgun. You can only use that handgun to take or put down game, if it is is legal to be used for taking game.

The Sportsman's Permit only allows you to carry a handgun that would be legal for taking game, so no semi-autos allowed while hunting.

Steve
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schr8er2000
If you have a "Protection" LTCF then you can carry it along with a rifle for deer as example. Hope that answers your question
So its legal to carry a semi pistol/wheel gun concealed carried for protection and also carry a deer rifle, turkey shotgun or rife fire for small game at the same time?

You can have it when you rip it from my cold, dead hands.........
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 04:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon8777
Quote:
Originally Posted by schr8er2000
If you have a "Protection" LTCF then you can carry it along with a rifle for deer as example. Hope that answers your question
So its legal to carry a semi pistol/wheel gun concealed carried for protection and also carry a deer rifle, turkey shotgun or rife fire for small game at the same time?
First, there is no such thing as a "protection" LTCF. There is only a LTCF. They, meaning the issuing authority may mark it as "protection" but the LTCF is good for any and all reasons that might be on the application.

Actually, they need to get rid of the reason because no reason is needed in order to apply or have a LTCF. But since they have a reason marked on the application, something has to be checked.

Second,....if you have a LTCF you can carry a handgun while you are deer, bear, turkey, archery hunting, etc. I'm not going to get into the whole SBR or SBS thing, because for 99.9% of us, we would be carrying a handgun.

Since a semi-auto handgun is never allowed to be used for hunting game, if you carry one you could never use it to take or put down game. However, if you are carrying a revolver and a revolver/caliber is designated as a legal firearm for use in the game you are hunting, then you can use it to take or put down game.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page