Taurus Judge Public Defender - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Send a message via AIM to SouthPaw0180
Taurus Judge Public Defender

I'm considering purchasing a Taurus Judge Public Defender model handgun. I plan on using as a CCW, and a trail gun for hiking/hunting. I've done a fair amount of research in the past few months, and I have read many mixed reviews on the product. If you own one (or previously owned one), please share your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 04:37 PM

Re: Taurus Judge Public Defender

I like the concept but the gun is too big and heavy for my liking,If you want a CCW and for hiking take a look at the Ruger LCP with lazer sites, very small but a 380 cal and would do the job for you. JMO

LJS 1/25/48-11/3/13
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've shot a few Taurus revolvers and never known one to be a bad gun. All where accurate and had ok triggers. I don't think they make a bad gun. They aren't Smith and Wesson.

As for the defender as a CCW. I would bet money that if you purchase one for the intent of CCW, eventually you stop carrying it. They are big.

Go to the website Box of Truth. They did some informal testing on the effectiveness of the Judge in self defense. 410 shotgun shells either slug or shot are not very good for self defense.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 06:57 PM
The Man

IMO - it makes a poor hiking gun and a poor self defense gun. So many better options. I've shot the Judge and like it - but to me its just a novelty gun.

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Winchester has some new loads for personal defense and they rated pretty good according to Guns and Ammo

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflktrman
Winchester has some new loads for personal defense and they rated pretty good according to Guns and Ammo
Have you ever seen a bad review in guns and ammo?

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a Public Defender. It is a bit of a novelty weapon. But I always thought a .410 handgun was cool and I've always wanted a 45LC. So I figured why not? It throws pretty mean groups with #6 or #9 shot, which is all I've shot so far. My purchase was prompted by 2 large aggressive dogs that charged my wife and I on one of our long walks up north recently. Going to load-bird shot-00 buck-45LC. Good night time weapon for her too.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:46 AM
Frequent Contributor

I agree with High Country in that if you get one for concealed carry you will eventually stop carrying it because of size.
I shot the Judge on several occasions and while it seems like a cool concept and has the coolness appeal to it, from what I have found it doesn't do anything real good.
It doesn't shoot the .45 LC ammo too bad, but with buck shot and regular shotgun shells it was less than impressive as the patterns opened up too much. There are definitely better choices out there for self defense in better calibers and size.
I think it would be good to keep under the seat of your truck in case you got car jacked, other than that not much use.

"There's nothing like the sound of a bullet hitting it's target"
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:44 AM

Contimplating one for the wife to keep in the house when I am out and even its size wont matter in the duffle bag she calls a purse.

If I got one for myself I think it would be the car gun. One or two rounds of buck should end a carjacking real quick.

P.S. The monkey really freaks DennyF out
If you stand in front of tanks the tanks are gonna win.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 03:11 PM

I own one but only carry it for rabbits. Shots have to be very close, but that's OK. Not out there to kill a bunch, just like hearing the hound's voice. Cool gun, shoots well, reliable.

Hunter-Trapper Ed Instructor
Member NWTF, NAHC, NRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page