Savage Fox Sterlingworth - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Savage Fox Sterlingworth

I have a savage fox 20 ga. have been looking on line gunbroker etc. etc. she's in good cond. i am amazed at what it's worth. now i'm thinking should i ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 12:45 PM

Re: Savage Fox Sterlingworth

Are you sure it is a Sterlingworth. Savage was making a Fox brand in the 80s that are not the same.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Actually I think Savage made that Fox brand back in the late 40's or early 50's.
Good gun either way.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

ya I'm sure. Savage took over fox in late 30's or early 40's can't remember. this is the heat bluesr# starts with263 i looked it up like i said. Small ga. shotguns like mine and 410's bring better money. I turned down $500.00 yesterday from a gun shop. guy seemed to know it's worth he offered right away jumped to quick so i thought it must go higher. saw on just like mine same writing on each bbl. same engraveing and design it sold for $1200.00 After the Fox Sterlingworth savage bought stevens and yes in late 50's made the sav. stevens then just used sav. name after dropping the stevens. sav. is very old shotgun maker. After the hammer style bl.pwd. shotguns many co.'s made shotguns. only few held value like the fox's. like the 06 springfield they were not all made by one co. Smith Corona, Win.,Rem. most shops that could build and hold specs. could sell to gov. but most guys think they were all springfield. I'm to dumb to know what guns bring big money it's alot of reserch. i just got lucky cause my dad hunted when i was young man and him and my uncle's had guns, and no money so they only had a shotgun and 1 rifle either a 30.30 win. or 99 sav or 32,35,3030 marlin. Not like us 10 15 guns is nothing. i have more guns then the law allows i guess just can't help it....later
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Well looks like ended up with no help yhought we had a few gun nuts here to -- about my savage. Seems 1 guy thinks i don't know what i have and 1 guy says good gun, thanks guys anyway felt like i was trying to push a hose....later
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Banned

It sounds to me like you want to sell it. I'd put it on Gunbroker and put a reserve on it so it doesn't sell too low. I'm not a shotgun guy so I can't help you with the value.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had a chance to buy a Fox Sterlingworth, pin model, 12 gage a couple of months back. It was in good used condition with a few scratches in the stock and signs of being carried and used, bluing off the receiver, no wobble in action. The dealer wanted $1700.00 dollars for it. The kicker was it came with two sets of barrels and fore ends. One bored F&M the other M&IC, serial # matched. I though about it for a couple of weeks and decided to buy it. No longer for sale, dealer decided he like it so much he was going to redo it and put in his collection.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Part of the Community

I'm sure there are some knowlegable Fox guys on here, but with your broad description and no picture, it is impossible to determine an exact value. A 20ga Fox is a very desireable gun, and it was offered in many different grades. Condition is what determines the value on any collector gun, and peoples opinion on condition vary like the weather. A picture is worth a thousand words.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortgreg
I'm sure there are some knowlegable Fox guys on here, but with your broad description and no picture, it is impossible to determine an exact value. A 20ga Fox is a very desireable gun, and it was offered in many different grades. Condition is what determines the value on any collector gun, and peoples opinion on condition vary like the weather. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Agree, What made the gun worth more than usual, was the matched set of barrels with matching serial #'s.
I've seen the same gun from $500 to $1000, depending on condition.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

thanks fortgreg i'ed show pictures but never got the hang of it. What i'm not sure of is weather i want to let it go or not. It's in good shape clean steel and it's still tight. i've had it a good long time and have never shot it. the one thing that is wrong it's missing butt end. the guy who i took it to said that happens on older guns the material was hard and most times cracked but there is a web site for buying stuff for older guns but the shop i was at said don't worry makes no change in priceing. To me it's just a gun that i need to take care of it would do better in the hands of a guy to enjoy. i've got my old gun that means much more to me it's a gift from dad this gun i got cause dad just left it....later

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page