concealed carry with thumb safety - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

concealed carry with thumb safety

I'm beginning to window shop. I want to get a small concealed carry gun for EDC. I won't be purchasing until after the new year, but i like to read reviews online, go to stores and handle, etc. I have a personal like for thumb safetys, example taurus or beretta where if the safety is up-its safe, safety down or flat its ready to fire-you click it down with your thumb, and safety towards the ground returns hammer without firing. Is there a reliable, small concealed carry gun out there that has this option. I would like to stick with the 9mm caliber and want to stay under $800 out the door. But I want something reliable, small enough that I will actually EDC, and has this type of safety if possible. I have seen that S&W makes a M&P 9 compact that you can get a safety on, does anyone own one and does it work like the above mentioned safety? I appreciate all info, feedback and positive suggestions?

Molon Labe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 03:28 PM

Re: concealed carry with thumb safety

I wonder if that is what my 9x18 mm Makarov has. If it does, it is perfectly safe.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

yeah octagon that's what it has, I have one. I actually carry it alot, however I wanted to get something in plain 9mm and I don't like the magazine release on my makarov, though overall the gun is so heavily built it takes a licking and keeps on ticking so to speak, quality russian craftsmanship.

Molon Labe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Beretta's safety is up to fire and down for safe.

Steve
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Steve any particular concealed carry models you recommend? I have owned Beretta's but only the full size .40. Good gun but I want a small 9mm for EDC.

Molon Labe
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was at the local gun store today to pick up some scope rings for my rifle. While there I looked over there selection. I didn't like the compact ruger. The S&W M&P 9c was there it felt kind of heavy for compact, I liked the gun but if I eventually buy one I'll probably just get the full size. I also looked at a Sig Ithink the model was 938, it was a 3 inch 9mm, didn't have the kind of safety I wanted but close. It was kind of like a mini-1911 so you would have to carry cocked and locked. Couldn't find any compact's with the safety that pushes down and decocks like a makarov or a beretta, wondering if anyone makes one? If not might have to go with the Sig, never owned one any feedback on those?

Molon Labe
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you are looking for a pistol to carry for personal protection there are some facts you need to consider.
Most modern double action pistol manufacturers, that manufacture a pistol that has what you call a safety, refer to it as a decocking lever. It's main function is to drop the hammer safely while a round still remains in the chamber.
Many have internal safeties that don't allow them to discharge unless the trigger is pulled through it's full cycle.
Simply put, with the hammer down, they are as safe to carry with the safety off as a double action revolver.
If you intend to carry a semi-automatic pistol with the safety/decocking lever engaged, you need to train extensively in the process needed to fire the pistol.
It's generally recognized that this takes a minimum of 1000 repetitions to ensure that you will react properly when your life depends on it.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I believe what you are reffering to as the decocking lever is the type of safety I would like to find on a small concealable 9mm. My makarov works that way if the safety is all the way up your on safe, down and level with the barrel its on fire, press it down one more time and it decocks the gun without firing. I would like to find a gun in regular 9mm with this option.

Molon Labe
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You definitely should carry what your comfortable with.
I personally wouldn't recommend that type of safety/decocking lever. I am aware of too many documented case where the safety was never disengaged when the weapon was needed for self defense to recommend carrying with the safety engaged.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Check out the Kahr PM9.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page