New toy... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

New toy...

My wife said I could get it for passing the Philadelphia Bar yesterday. I'll add a picture later tonight, but I got a barely used Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 ga with deer smoothborne barrel and full size turkey/upland bird barrel and a mounted weaver setup (for easy adding of scopes) for $225 today! This means I'm legal to hunt in the SRA and take advantage of the the longer season. I'm eventually going to get a Nikon scope for it (nearly bought one one with a Leupold, but the shotgun was one barrel and kind of meh and 50 bucks more).

Going to eventually get a home defense barrel.

Picked up these really nice Federal Sabot slugs, that look devatsing to anything it hits I'll add exact brand later. Also picked up some hornady critical defense slugs as they were cheap and should work well for their intended purpose in the gravest of extremes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 01:50 PM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: New toy...

sabots do not shot well out of a smoothbore barrel. the old style slugs work just as good or better. plus at a third the cost, easier on the pocket book when shooting it to get the feel of how it shoots. soot both to find out how they group for your gun. BTW i have the same gun and that is my experience.

RIZ
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 02:24 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIZ
sabots do not shot well out of a smoothbore barrel. the old style slugs work just as good or better. plus at a third the cost, easier on the pocket book when shooting it to get the feel of how it shoots. soot both to find out how they group for your gun. BTW i have the same gun and that is my experience.
Yup. Dont waste your money on sabots out of the smooth barrel. Stick to the rifled slugs and/or buckshot if you chose.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buk_Huntir
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIZ
Yup. Dont waste your money on sabots out of the smooth barrel. Stick to the rifled slugs and/or buckshot if you chose.
Sorry I meant to say the deer barrel was a fully rifled barrel. The other is the smooth one.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 06:33 PM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

good just so you understand why and when to use the proper ammo.

RIZ
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

nice gun!

will hunt for food....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks! I will get a pic posted soon. Perhaps when I have my stuff kitted out for tomorrow, later tonight.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Sage

Before that update, was gonna suggest ya make a "home defense" barrel out of the supposed smooth bore slug barrel and buy a rifled slug barrel to replace it.

Don't know how things are in your area, but some of the gunshops I frequent, often have used shotgun barrels for sale at decent prices? Including rifled ones.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF
Before that update, was gonna suggest ya make a "home defense" barrel out of the supposed smooth bore slug barrel and buy a rifled slug barrel to replace it.

Don't know how things are in your area, but some of the gunshops I frequent, often have used shotgun barrels for sale at decent prices? Including rifled ones.
Oddly enough I don't see too many seperate barrels for sale. The gunshop that really deals in shotguns bundles them together I've only seen one or two just sold as an extra part. I would like to get a home defense barrel.

That said I could spend an extra 200 bucks and then pay 124 bucks and get this one
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...10&catid=11941
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Sage

Ummm, don't think that'd be a good investment?

I'd think extra 870 barrels oughta be available someplace? They've been making them for a very long time. The shop near camp often has used barrels for sale. Mostly Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 barrels.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page