O/U Help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

O/U Help

I am shopping around for a decent O/U shotgun that will mostly be used for upland hunting a few times per year.. maybe a few sessions on clays but that would be it.. i am not to familiar with them but i dont have much of a budget. everything im seeing is very expenisive.. if anyone knows any brands or good quality decently priced guns and can give me some advice it would be greatly appriciated.. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 07:40 PM
The Man

Re: O/U Help

Yildiz are pretty decent for a budget priced o/u. The problem is finding them. The only place they are sold new is academy sports( I believe in Texas, NC, SC, TN) so you would need to look on gunbroker or the like to find one.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 PM

O/U you have select an expensive category but an excellent gun for upland game. My favorite is the Browning Citori.

I won a savage/Stevens 20 gauge (also comes in 12), but have never shot it yet...But you might want to take a look:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 PM

The budget O/U question comes up once a month or so on various shotgun forums. When it comes to inexpensive doubles you're rolling the dice hoping you get a good one. They often don't last without some problems. The most common and IMO best advice when this question comes up, is find a used "B" gun which will likely run $1000 or so for one in good shape. Browning (or Winchester, same company) or Beretta. Sometimes the big box stores have sales and certain new ones can be had for $1000-1500. Otherwise buy a good pump (even new semi's are $1K now) and forget the O/U or save up the money.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 08:19 PM

P.S. Just noticed there's a used ruger O/U in the classified forum here. I'm not partial to them, but you might want to take a look.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 PM
The Man

Don't buy a cheap O/U. Think of it as an investment. A good quality shotgun will appreciate in value.

Then there is the problem with parts and repairs. If you buy a Browning or Beretta you are also buying support from the manufacturer.

If you buy a cheap shotgun like those imported from Turkey it will probably fail and parts are impossible to fine.

BTW I have a friend who needs parts for a cheap O/U he brought. He cannot find anyone to work on it and he cannot find the parts he needs. He thought he had found a deal but he just found someone else’s problem.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a stoeger condor and haven't had a problem with it in about 10 years.

Smile its contagious. Its understood in all languages.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 12:23 AM

I have two. A Red Label in 20 ga and an Antonio Zoli in 20 ga. I like both of them equally well. The Ruger has a lifetime garuntee weather you buy it used or new. Not so with a Browning or Beretta. From what I heard, though, Ruger isn't making the Red Label any longer. Some other options may be a used Ithica/SKB or Charles Daily. Turkish guns can be a crap shoot. You may get one that will work flawlessly, others fall apart. If you go for a Turk gun, try to stay with a CZ. They seem to be of better quality. Shop around and check estate auctions and classifieds. My buddy just picked up a 12 ga, fixed choke (Mod/Full) Browning Citori for $450 from our local Area Shopper. The guy said the ejector was broke and there was a small ding on the stock near the reciever. $20 and some oil later, the gunsmith degunked and oiled the ejector spring and it works flawlessly.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 12:28 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface
Don't buy a cheap O/U. Think of it as an investment. A good quality shotgun will appreciate in value.

Then there is the problem with parts and repairs. If you buy a Browning or Beretta you are also buying support from the manufacturer.

If you buy a cheap shotgun like those imported from Turkey it will probably fail and parts are impossible to fine.

BTW I have a friend who needs parts for a cheap O/U he brought. He cannot find anyone to work on it and he cannot find the parts he needs. He thought he had found a deal but he just found someone else’s problem.
The Yildiz is from turkey. Look around and try and find a bad report/review for them. You want find many/any. Briley handles the repairs for them, if you ever need it. Are they a beretta? No. For 400.00 new, you won't find a better gun for the money.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 12:58 AM

I'll second the Stoeger. I bought an Uplander and used it for about 8 years until I decided to trade it on one of the Remington SxS's. One of the worst mistakes of my life. Used it for grouse, squirrel, duck and trap. I'd put a box of 3" steel through it in a day hunting Lake Erie. Never had a hick-up.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page