2 Questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
The Man

2 Questions

Hey handgunners, hope you can answer a couple of questions for me.

1. I have a pistol permit but I sold the pistol. Can I carry my brother in laws pistol or does the gun have to be registered to you?

2. Now that you can carry when archery hunting. Does it matter what pistol? All I have access to is a Taurus Raging Bull 454.

I'm taking my 5 year old with me a lot this year. Whenever we are out scouting I can't help but think he looks like little bait running around. With a healthy bear population and decent # of coyotes, I'd just feel safer having something in addition to the bow with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 05:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 2 Questions

1) As long as you have a LTCF, a firearm can be loaned to you as per PA Law 6115(b)(1)(i);

6115. Loans on, or lending or giving firearms prohibited.
(a) Offense defined.--No person shall make any loan secured by mortgage, deposit or pledge of a firearm, nor, except as provided in subsection (b), shall any person lend or give a firearm to another or otherwise deliver a firearm contrary to the provisions of this subchapter.
(b) Exception.--
(1) Subsection (a) shall not apply if any of the following apply:
(i) The person who receives the firearm is licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109 (relating to licenses).

2) The law allows for the carrying of a firearm for self-defense purposes while hunting, provided you have the LTCF. As long as whatever you carry falls under the definition of a "firearm" as defined in 6102, you can carry it.

Steve
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Really appreciate the reply Steve. I guess I'm okay here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:23 PM
COR
Part of the Community

No gun is "registered"...that is a myth (with the exception of Class III, AOW, etc.)

You are OK...just avoid the conversation as there are some that still believe this "registration" legend is true since they do paperwork at the time of purchase. Just avoid the conversation altogether so some know it all doesn't ruin your only weekend day to hunt with your boy.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

By law, it is illegal for PA to have any type of firearms "registration".

The data base that people and quite often police officers refer to as a registry, is nothing more than data dealing with handgun transfers.

Steve
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

on the same line can i open carry,say my father in laws pistol

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

As long as you follow the laws for open carry you could carry santas gun

In Pennsylvania, persons 18 years of age and older whom are not prohibited by law from owning firearms may openly carry a handgun in plain sight with no license except in vehicles*, cities of the first class** (Philadelphia) and where prohibited specifically by statute.
Ref.: Title 18, ch.61, Subchapter A. Uniform Firearms Act & Commonwealth v. Ortiz
* Open carry in a vehicle requires a valid PA License to Carry Firearms (LTCF) or a carry license from ANY other state. Ref: Title 18 6106
** Open carry in a city of the first class requires a valid PA LTCF or a carry license from a reciprocal state. Ref: Title 18 6108, Title 18 6106
Carrying concealed (with LTCF) or openly in establishments that serve alcohol is allowed in Pennsylvania.
There is no stipulation in neither the PA code nor case law that a PA LTCF holder must carry concealed. Furthermore, lawful open carry of a firearm is NOT grounds for revocation of a PA LTCF as it is neither an illegal nor dangerous act.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 12:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

thats what i tried to tell him but he still believes that i have to "own" the pistol to carry it. sometimes i wish he would let gun and hunting laws to me as it pertains to my boy. his negative influince is wearing off on him

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 AM
COR
Part of the Community

Unfortunately you will find close minded individuals that don't want to understand things correctly. It amazes me how often I run into this mentality of "since I've always understood it that way...it is TRUE"...Information that was passed down from bar stools and gun shop "experts" can all be verified nowadays with having immediate access to the information. Ignorance is just that. If it were my boy he'd know the correct answer as per the law and I'd telll your BILor FIL to go bury their head in the sand some more. It gives you a good excuse to go buy your own gun anyway!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page