S & W 329pd backpacker

anyone have this gun and how do you like it? same for the 329 nightgaurd--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: S & W 329pd backpacker

Well no, don't have one.
Lightest 44mag I have is the Smith Mountain Gun.
But you'd have my support if you wanted a 329 , interesting guns for sure.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:09 AM
The Man

I have a Backpacker...I like it....I would not recommend it to anyone as their only .44 magnum....it is built for carry not shooting....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They just came out with a hunter XL model with a 6" barrel that I thought was interesting. I don't know what any of the 329 are like to fire, but I imagine its not a good choice for a "newbie" or inexperienced. Have read that they aren't too bad when loaded with hot 44 special loads.

I haven't decide which way I would definately lean. Hope this thread gets lots of response. I just want one for driving deer when I'm in the thick stuff. Very slight chance I'd need it, but beats dragging a rifle through the briars and keep my hands free. Also don't want a heavy revolver to wear all day and walk miles with it on my hip.

I think for myself that I would probably buy the Mountain Gun.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have always wanted to shoot the 329. but shoot it once. I read a review where Massad Ayoob said it was the only gun he ever wore shooting gloves to fire. I spoke with a guy once that had one and he said it was a very heavy recoiling gun. I think he was being modest. If yo get one let me know and I will bring the ammo if you let me shoot it.

"The only senseless killing, would be the killing of me"
-Matthew Zerby
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 07:49 AM
The Man

Ayoob never shot a short barrel .475 Linebaugh then....its recoil is much more severe than the 329 with 300 gr. heavy loads....

My 4 3/4" Linebaugh with heavy loads is a real handful...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There are guns that are made to be carried a lot, and not shot so much......and guns made to be shot a lot, and not carried so much.

I have 2 S&W 44 magnums. One is a DX Classic (full underlug) and I have a scope on it. I tell ya, it's one darn accurate handgun all the way out to 100 yards! (From a bench or other sturdy platform of course). And you can enjoy shooting heavy loads from it for quite sometime because of the gun weight. (Gun weight + scope weight = less felt recoil). I also have a Model 29 PC that is a joy to shoot. Again, full power loads.....but it's an all steel 6.5" barrel gun.

Now, I also own a S&W (Do you see a trend here?) Model 386sc. This was the "pre" night guard series. This little L-frame is a 7 shot titanium cylinder that weighs 18oz unloaded. I can shoot this with full loads of 357 "for a while." The recoil is no where near that of a 44 magnum.....but the full grips on a 44 magnum do help...along with the weight of the 6"+ barrels.

I've never shot one of these light weight 44's. But again, I think these were made to be carried alot, and not shot alot.

I will tell you that when I put the 386sc in my holster, even after toting it all day I don't realize it's there. That's how lightweight and easy it is to carry. But....that's why it was made.

Oh...WINCHESTERBOB...if your shootin a Linbaugh....PM me your address so I can send you a gift certificate to your local drug store. At some point you have to be running low on gauze and white tape TO STOP THE BLEEDING that for sure occurs. If not from your hands.....then somewhere inside your body after the 12th shot from one of those (Bleeping) Linbaugh's!!!

What....are you a sadist??? Fun guns to shoot though....eh?

BTW.....my 9422 is a real joy to shoot! I can't believe how smooth the action is. Very glad I bought it!!!

Dave

“Nothing external to you has any power over you.” -Emerson

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 09:18 AM
The Man

LOL....I HAD to have a .475....even with the PAST glove on it is ridiculous....I admire anyone who can handle one well enough to work up accurate loads in a day at the range....would take me five days to shoot one good 5 shot group-one shot daily....BTW it did tear up my right thumbnail on the first shot on two different range sessions...you know what of you speak...

Glad that 9422M is working well for you...saying you "bought" it is a bit of a stretch though....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 11:30 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCountry66
I haven't decide which way I would definately lean. Hope this thread gets lots of response. I just want one for driving deer when I'm in the thick stuff. Very slight chance I'd need it, but beats dragging a rifle through the briars and keep my hands free. Also don't want a heavy revolver to wear all day and walk miles with it on my hip.

I think for myself that I would probably buy the Mountain Gun.
Any quality gun with a 4"-6" barrel should work for you. The really light guns are meant to be carried when the is an ever so slight chance you will need to to protect yourself.

If I were you I would find something "middle weight". I say that because you will want to practice alot with it if you plan on hunting with it. I carry a Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel while driving through the creek bottoms. Shots tend to be very short if at all. I carry that gun in a hip holster as it fairly light, I can keep my hand in the grip while moving around.

Also consider getting a decent shoulder holster. I used to carry a scoped Ruger Super Black Hawk all day without too much wear on the body. I tried to carry it once on a hip holster, and I developed a lean to my left side (left handed) after a couple hours.

Venison - The other fast food
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchesterbob
Glad that 9422M is working well for you...saying you "bought" it is a bit of a stretch though....

WB.....These won't "solve" your Linbaugh issues.....but they will help get you to the ER:

“Nothing external to you has any power over you.” -Emerson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page