870 barrel and steel shot? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

870 barrel and steel shot?

Well I've been thinking of getting into goose hunting, my only problem is with my 870 barrel. It's a fixed mod. choke... How do i know that this is 'steel rated'? Only reason i ask is as i was looking though the Cabelas book today looking at decoys i saw the replacement 870 barrels and i looked to see the price, and saw that there where a few that where "steel rated'... Whats this all about? I don't feel like putting $250+ into a 'steel rated' barrel if its not needed

It's called SHOT PLACEMENT not a bigger caliber
Greed is a nasty thing
Save Western Wildlife Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: 870 barrel and steel shot?

there barrels that say 'steel' mean that they come with a full choke. thats it.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:43 PM
The Man

Uh... NO. They are chrome lined (not the shiny stuff). I think most all new shotguns are made this way. It is basically a lining that is harder than the steel that is shot from the gun so it won't wear down causing you to eventually to shoot an improced cylinder.

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt/fish365
Uh... NO. They are chrome lined (not the shiny stuff). I think most all new shotguns are made this way. It is basically a lining that is harder than the steel that is shot from the gun so it won't wear down causing you to eventually to shoot an improced cylinder.
uh... so what your saying is all there new barrels can handle steel.im saying the ones the say are steel rated come with a full choke instead of a mod, and thats the only difference. from what im told
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust82
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt/fish365
uh... so what your saying is all there new barrels can handle steel.im saying the ones the say are steel rated come with a full choke instead of a mod, and thats the only difference. from what im told
Most gun manufactures do not want you using a full choke for steel. It is harder than lead and there in no give when it is comming out of the barrel which may cause your barrel to bulge. Most new barrels are made for steel shot, older ones will say steel approved or have steel rated somewhere on it.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Where would that be located on the barrel? All my barrel says is

"2 3/4 or shorter shells...... Mod..... J|L.... O... X...80
And the other side says the remington thing and all the patent #'s and
R.E.P. incircled a P just outside the incircling and a big freckin M and a G inside a triangle...

Greed is a nasty thing
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

ANd i'm not sure if its a new barrel or an older barrel, hence why i'm asking and putting all these letters up on my last post, dont really wanta spend $250 for a new barrel if not needed, but dont feel like getting half way though next year and having to get a new barrel

Greed is a nasty thing
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:00 AM
The Man

A modern modified choke barrel will handle steel shot. Your 870 barrel should be OK.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM
The Man

I would have to guess since it is an 870 that is only chambered for 2 3/4" shells, and it is a fixed mod choke that it is NOT steel shot approved.

If you want to hunt waterfowl with non-toxic shot I would recommend getting on the waterfowl forum, and asking what kinds of shot can be shot from older barrrels. There are some out there. Yes. It will cost more than steel shot, but unless you are doing a lot of shooting it will be cheaper than a new barrel.

Another option would be to trade the gun you have now for a newer model. You could get an express that is rated for steel, have a 3" chamber, and have the option for different choke tubes. I think those guns go for around $300. If you could get $200 for yours it would only cost you $100.

Venison - The other fast food
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheASlayer
ANd i'm not sure if its a new barrel or an older barrel, hence why i'm asking and putting all these letters up on my last post, dont really wanta spend $250 for a new barrel if not needed, but dont feel like getting half way though next year and having to get a new barrel
If you determine that its not capable of shooting steel. You should re-think buying a new barrel for $250. You could definately find a used 870 Express with 3" shell capability for that price. You may even find a new combo model for not a whole lot more.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page