Old Winchester Model 12 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Old Winchester Model 12

I have this old Winchester Model 12 that I'm thinking of selling, but not sure whether it has any value at all.

I tried to trade it in when I got my son his new bow and the shop owner said that most of the finish was off (I thought it was suppoosed to look silver when nickel) and he said that the end of the barrel may have been sawed off a bit. He stuck either a quarter or nickel in the barrel to show me, but I dont know the gun, Im sure a model 12 afficianado would know what he meant.

Anyway, I'm not trying to sell it in this thread, but wonder if anyone thinks its worth putting up in the classifieds, or just junk and wait for the buyback program?

Im thinking at very least could be a home defense shotgun or for parts.

[img:center]http://[/img]

serial number 263xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 12:24 AM

Re: Old Winchester Model 12

One way to check a fixed choke is that what is stamped on the barrel is to see if / how a dime sits in the muzzle. I can't recall the profile of the dime relative to choke size but I recall that my Mod 12 Win is a modified choke and a dime sinks in up Roosevelt's neck. The gun you are showing has a LOT of wear in it and it does not look as if it was cared for very well. Mod 12 Winchesters, although a fine machine an very well made, don't fetch that much money. There are a lot of them out there. Why not get it checkd by a good smith and if worth it, have it reblued, and you redo the stock and corncob fore-end. Carry it afield with pride in an old war-horse.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If a dime doesn't fit down barrel it should be a full choke.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsdad
One way to check a fixed choke is that what is stamped on the barrel is to see if / how a dime sits in the muzzle. I can't recall the profile of the dime relative to choke size but I recall that my Mod 12 Win is a modified choke and a dime sinks in up Roosevelt's neck. The gun you are showing has a LOT of wear in it and it does not look as if it was cared for very well. Mod 12 Winchesters, although a fine machine an very well made, don't fetch that much money. There are a lot of them out there. Why not get it checkd by a good smith and if worth it, have it reblued, and you redo the stock and corncob fore-end. Carry it afield with pride in an old war-horse.
Not to be stupid, but whats "a corncobbed fore-end"... and "in an old war horse"?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 08:28 AM

A corn cobb forend is a term sometimes used to describe the wood cut design that loosely resembles the rows of corn kernels on an ear of corn.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 08:56 AM
The Man

In the first pic you can see where the barrel is stamped "FULL". It has a full choke. They are good guns, and I would look into having it reblued. My grandfathers model 12 looked just like that before he had his redone.

Venison - The other fast food
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Part of the Community

Open the action and point the muzzle towards the ground. Drop a dime in the chamber as if you were loading a shell. If the dime hits the ground, it is not a full choke, and the barrel has either been opened up or more than likely cut. Either way it would still be an excellent small game or home defense gun, just not alot of collector value if the barrel has been altered.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

You might be surprised how much thats worth. I know of a few collectors that would suck it up in a heartbeat. It's not worth thousands,granted but you'll get more than a few cups of coffee for it.
Have it checked out by a gunsmith and find out about the barrel. He will use a micrometer and get the true dimensions of the choke.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdady Rods
You might be surprised how much thats worth. I know of a few collectors that would suck it up in a heartbeat. It's not worth thousands,granted but you'll get more than a few cups of coffee for it.
Have it checked out by a gunsmith and find out about the barrel. He will use a micrometer and get the true dimensions of the choke.
Actually trying to raise funds for a 44 mag or such for a bear protection handgun.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortgreg
Open the action and point the muzzle towards the ground. Drop a dime in the chamber as if you were loading a shell. If the dime hits the ground, it is not a full choke, and the barrel has either been opened up or more than likely cut. Either way it would still be an excellent small game or home defense gun, just not alot of collector value if the barrel has been altered.
Well I did the dime test and the dime fell on the floor.

Oh well maybe I'll get it blued, just disappointed in this gun, and it'll probably just sit in the safe unless I can figure something to do with it. Dont want to put more into it than what its worth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page