SxS ....... Why??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

SxS ....... Why???

Why is it that U.S. gun makers have pretty much dropped their American made SxS gun line?
Browning no long makes them, Remining no longer makes one in the U.S. etc.....

Are they no longer popular? Seems to me anytime one goes up for sale in Sale Forum they go really quick.

Too expensive to make?

What gives?

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">Atlantic Flyway</span></span>
Member:
~ NRA
~ York Riflemen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:30 PM

Re: SxS ....... Why???

I've wondered that myself. I love my Fox 20 ga SxS. Beautiful firearm. Ruger makes one, but it is way expensive. For some reason, OUs seem to be more popular. I wouldn't think that there would be much cost difference between a SxS and an O/U.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Browning never had a US made sxs. Most of their guns were never made in the USA.

Regulating barrels to hit to the same point of aim is costly and runs the price of a 2 barrel up. Moreso with sxs than o/u. Don't know exactly why though.

American wages are to high and it was too costly to produce sxs in the US. People weren't buying them, plus they wanted the 3 shooters. It was too costly to produce even the lowest grades like the sterlingworth, any Stevens, LC Smiths.

There is 1 companies that makes American SXS's. It is Connecticut Manufacturing or something like that. (CSMC). They make the RBL and it is a $3,000 dollar gun for what an afficianado of sxs's would call your basic gun. You can get something of similiar quality made in Spain for $1500 to $1700.

Ruger tried a couple of years ago to produce a sxs. They were selling for around $1500 and they were losing their shirts on them. If you find one now it will likely be over 3K if its new or in good shape. That is likely what ruger needed to start them at in the first place.

Guys in a position to buy a $3,000 sxs aren't very plentiful. But you can sell them plastic autoloaders from Italy for $1500 all day long.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:50 PM

It is both the regulation issue and the lock. A SXS wants to twist when fired which is not the case with an O/U.

Treat people as if they're what they ought to be & you help them become what they can be.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Many of the affordable US SXSs where clubs but were stout and killed what you aimed them at. I'd love it if I could buy an American Sxs but am now looking for what I can find. There are old discontinued US guns but they are either beat or cost a small fortune.

BUT NOT TO WORRY! After the present President turns us into a 3rd nation we will be making guns for next to nothing once again. Ah ha ha ha ha!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

you can still pick up a used old Stevens/Savages for about $350 to $600. 12 ga are at the lower end and the smaller 20/28 ga are near the $600.

Keep Americans working!
Buy made in USA!!!!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Part of the Community

how much does an ithaca 16 sxs go for i got 2 of them in really good shape? just wondering
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessiedog1
you can still pick up a used old Stevens/Savages for about $350 to $600. 12 ga are at the lower end and the smaller 20/28 ga are near the $600.
Those prices are ridiculous. I know some guys are paying that, but a Fox B will never be worth $350 to me.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimber 45
how much does an ithaca 16 sxs go for i got 2 of them in really good shape? just wondering
Depends on what you got and the actual condition they are in. Also depends if someone wants one or not.

You definately have more value with a 16 gauge than a 12.

On a side note, if you don't know what they are exactly, you should refrain from shooting modern shells in them. Even if the barrels are made from fluid steel.

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:30 PM

Apparently you are in a unique place--please buy for me every Fox B grade gun you can find for $350 and I will pay you twice that without even thinking about it.

You might want to take a look here to see how screwed up the rest of the world is.

Regarding the question on the Ithacas, there are different grades and models, if you can provide more information then someone can give you a real answer.

If it happens to be a Sousa just send me a PM--I'll be right over

Treat people as if they're what they ought to be & you help them become what they can be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page