Starter shotgun for gf - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Starter shotgun for gf

Looking at getting a first shotgun for girlfriend. looking for a cheap starter gun, was looking at the H&R Pardner 20 Gauge. what yous think??

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Starter shotgun for gf

Don't get the girlfriend a shotgun. Get yourself a shotgun that she can use.

MY GUN MY RIGHT !!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Sage

Why get her a starter gun that will eventually not be used and replaced by another. Get one that she can always use and will want to use. A nice 20 ga semi auto would have less recoil than that partner tomato stake and can be used forever.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You probably should take her to a gun shop where you can let her handle different makes models and sizes within your price range. Single shot tend to be difficult to cock and uncock for people with mall hands. They also tend to kick more than a pump or semi.
I would agree with 3006's assessment of getting something that you can use if it doesn't work out, but it has to fit her. Most females can't use shotguns with full size stocks, that means either getting the stock trimmed or finding something that can easily be changed out.
I like the Remington 870's 20ga, you can buy a full size with 25- 26"bbl and replace the stock with a youth stock if needed. She only has to load one round to start and can add a 2nd or 3rd round once she gets comfortable handling the weapon. If it doesn't work out, you have a 20ga that you can use.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

Depending on your budget I would get the Rem 870 or Moss 500 both can be had in youth models which would be a much better fit, a pump or auto loader has less felt recoil than a single shot. And if she decides to try Deer hunting the pump would be legal for Deer.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Part of the Community

I got married two years ago (2nd for each of us) to a lady who had only shot .22's at carnivals when she was a kiddo. She wanted to hunt sooooo we fitted her with a 20 ga Mossberg youth model. It came as a package at Gander Mt. Had a 26" shotgun barrel with screw in choke and a rifles barrel with a 4 power scope. I think it was about $225 total. She loves it! We shoot clays for fun and she does well. We put a better scope on the rifles barrel and it will shoot a clover leaf group at 50 yds. I have killed a fw squirrels with it last fall.

NRA Member
Former USMC - Vietnam
Retired Army - Desert Storm
Renewing hunting knowledge
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Sage

Yep, it would be better to have a gun in any configuration, pump, sxs o/u or semi that to start a person on a single shot hammer gun. I know it is the most inexpensive but why handicap a new shooter the first time out of the gate? Small hands, small cold hands, forgetting to put the hammer down after not shooting are all things that new shooters have to worry about. Why ad all of that in adddition to just learning how to shoot or hunt? I was started on a single shot hammer gun, and I believe it was a handicap and I would never start a new hunter with one. There are good buys on used shotguns out there, no reason you have to start with a new gun. I bought a used Frabchi 20 ga. 48 AL for my grandson on HPA and then purchased a youth buttstock from Franchi for another 80.00. He shoots it well for a new shooter, doesn't mind the recoil and in a short while, at the rate he is growing, I will put the adult stock back on and he will have a gun to last a lifetime. I know i seems cheaper to buy a cheap sinle barrel hammer gun for a new shooter but how cheap is it if you have to buy them another after they learn how to shoot and hunt? Of course, everyone is free to do what they want to do with their money, just making a suggestion.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 02:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

depending on the $$ I would get a nice used 20 ga pump. Teach her the basics and have fun. I would not go the single shot route unless thats the only thing you can afford. Used mossy 500 can be had for 170.oo around my neck of the woods.

will hunt for food....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-06kid
Don't get the girlfriend a shotgun. Get yourself a shotgun that she can use.
+1

The gun will last forever. The girlfriend may not. Then you can use it to train the next one.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page