Over/Under Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Over/Under Question

My brother in law is planning on getting my father in law an over/under for his 60th birthday next year. He is looking at something in the $1500-$2000 range that is nice but not so nice that he would be afraid to carry it in the field. Now, my father in law likes the ones with the fatter, beefier forearm stock.

Just looking for feedback on this. Like I said, he wants him to be able to carry it hunting and not be afraid to because it is too nice. IMO, the Browning Citori finishes are too glossy and scratch when you look at them. We looked at a Ruger Red Label at Grice's over the weekend and I like the look and feel of it but not sure about the performance of them.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 02:06 AM

Re: Over/Under Question

I have a Red Label in 20 ga. I love it. Light carrying and points great for me. Additionally, it comes with a life time garuantee.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

Check out berettas also, 686, 682 models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 12:20 PM

Fatter, beefier forearm, then you're probably going to want a browning, some version of the citori. Beretta's tend to be slimmer, smaller forearms and the receivers are not as tall. This makes for a difference in fit which makes people prefer one over the other. I don't understand all the fretting over some "character scratches" on guns with nice wood. They were meant to be used. I'm not going to abuse my gun but I'm also not going to worry about how much the gun is worth after I'm gone because it has some worn bluing and some scratches..... but that's me.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Sage

All new guns should come with a scratch, that would solve the worrying about the first one.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You can get a browning with a satin finish.

Rugers are heavy and depending who you talk to not up to rigorous clay games.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

Yep, I would go with one of the B guns...Beretta or Browning. As other have said Browning will be the "beefer" of the two. I wouldn't worry about the scratches...if well earned they add to the gun...

G
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

although they are well under your budget, you might look at the tristars. i have carried one in .410 for the last 4 yeras and really like it. they don't have the "big name" as the others, but are a decent quality gun. just a thought.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 08:25 PM
The Man

Don't overlook the Belgian-made Winchesters.

I believe they are the 101 series currently.

I have a 5 year old Select Energy Sporting that is just the nutz !!! VERY well built. BEAUTIFULLY balanced. A HIGHLY underrated value in the o/u market.

demokraten saugen
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Unfortunately, in the $1K-$2K range, a quality gun is going to be hard to find. If all you'll be doing is hunting, therefore only 12 or so shots per day, then a low end gun will be fine. BUT, if you use that gun for any volume of shooting, then it will be woefully lacking in quality. My first O/U was a Tri-star and it lasted maybe 2 years. The gun shot loose and began misfiring. Twice it went back for warranty work and still it malfunctioned. Tri-Star, Stoeger, CZ, Ruger, etc are all fine for the rigors of hunting. For any more punishing use you'll need to drop $3K or up for a quality O/U.

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page