Benelli Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Benelli Question

Just bought a new SBE II , American series. It does not have the comfort tech stock. Was wondering if any has one of these and what methods you may have used to reduce recoil?

I know you can buy various recoil pads, and the recoil reducer for the stock. Was looking for info from who has purchased what items, and how they worked.

PS.
Couldn't turn the gun down, bought it at Dicks for $1,049....full max 4 camo SBE II.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 05:55 PM
The Man

Re: Benelli Question

Get a limbsaver recoil pad. That the best thing you can that will be cost effective. Any 3.5 inch shell is going to kick in any gun. The benefit of carrying a gun that only weighs 7 lbs, is it will kick a bit more than a heavier gun. I'd rather carry a light gun all day, and worry about the recoil during the few range sessions I have each year, than lug around a heavy gun all the time. You'll never feel it when you shoot at game anyway. The beaty of the recoil operated action is it requires less meticulous maintenance to keep it running efficiently. The drawback is, it won't dampen recoil as much as a gas operated auto. That being said, I wouldn't trade my SBE II for ANYTHING!

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If it is the "American" model, I don't believe it is technically an SBE II. The addition of the Comfort Tech system to the SBE is what made the SBE II, so, in reality I think you have an SBE. Regardless, still a great gun at a good price.

Shut Up and Drill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 PM

You do in fact have a SBE II, sans the comfortech stock, a couple chokes and the case (I'm assuming). The internals are the same as a SBE II with comfortech stock. The SBE I is a different model altogether.

I had a SBE II with comfortec and if it helped with recoil, I didn't notice. 3.5" would give me a headache after a few rounds and I can shoot my 7.5 pound 45-70 with hot handloads all day.

Like Borden said, try a limbsaver pad and avoid the 3.5" if you can help it.

HPA All-Star
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Don't shoot bigger than 3" shells!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by benelli21
You do in fact have a SBE II, sans the comfortech stock, a couple chokes and the case (I'm assuming). The internals are the same as a SBE II with comfortech stock. The SBE I is a different model altogether.

I had a SBE II with comfortec and if it helped with recoil, I didn't notice. 3.5" would give me a headache after a few rounds and I can shoot my 7.5 pound 45-70 with hot handloads all day.

Like Borden said, try a limbsaver pad and avoid the 3.5" if you can help it.
That is correct.

has anyone tried the mercury filled recoil reducer tubes that go in stock? If so, do they work?

Also, does anyone have feedback as to weather a limbsaver recoil pad is better , worse, or same as Benelli gel filled recoil pad ?

Thanks for the help so far. My buddy and I both bought these guns this week. The recoil is more of a issue to him. I'm just trying to figure out what has worked for those who have tried it.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 12:36 AM
The Man

I would just use 3" shells. The range difference is minimal if at all. They aren't that bad. I shoot them out of my mossberg 500 that weighs about the same. Yea..you know it went off, but its not terrible.

The H&R single barrel I used to have that was chambered for 3 1/2" shells should have been eligal. BRUTAL! That only weighed 6 lbs. It was tollerable with 3" shells.

Any weight you add will reduce felt recoil. You can add the mercury weight to the stock, and it will help.

Personally...I would rather have the recoil. It only hurts till the pain goes away.

With that said I picked up a youth 20 gauge 870 pump that weighs in at 6 lbs. Even with regular game loads it kicks harder than the 12 gauge. My kids won't shoot it.

Venison - The other fast food
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
The Man

We are shooting 3". Use them for crow hunting, and shooting a box plus a day is not uncommon. Probly wouldn't think as much of it if it were not so warm you can hunt in a shirt.....winter coat helps with the recoil.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:42 AM

I had the recoil reducer for my nova. I never used it. I don't remember if it was because it was not effective or I didn't like the added weight. It may have worked and I did not like the weight. I'm not sure...

As far as crow hunting goes, IMO, 2 3/4" 5's or 6's will kill them dead, they don't even need to be high brass. 3" shells are not necessary.

HPA All-Star
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:24 AM
The Man

I was of the 3" school of thought for crows for a while, and my one buddy still shoots 3" shells at crows........I switched to high velocity 1.25 #7 1/2 long range express, or 1.25 # 7 1/2 1400 fps reloads, and I started killing a lot more crows stone dead......and I have shot them out to 50-60 yards on the third shot...........I have even used some handicap trap loads with good success........

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page