Mossberg 500 Super Bantam Youth 20 ga turkey gun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Mossberg 500 Super Bantam Youth 20 ga turkey gun

I have opportunity to buy a Mossberg 500 Super Bantam Youth 20 ga turkey gun. The gun looks very nice, has screw in chokes, with a stock that will grow with the youngster by adding spacers, camo, fiber optic sights etc. I'm not sure how well this gun will pattern compared to a Remington 870 youth 20 ga? Anyone have any experience with the Super Bantam?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mossberg 500 Super Bantam Youth 20 ga turkey gun

It all depends on the load you use as well as the choke in the end. I have a 20 ga that I have a Carlson's turkey choke that will give me groups I'm confident to shoot with out to 30-35 yds with Federal's turkey loads.

remember, the twenty is plenty for turkey. Just use quality loads.
Oh, the only difference between a standard mossberg and the bantam is the stock. A great gun to grow with.

The more people that I meet, the more I love my dog
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantail
I have opportunity to buy a Mossberg 500 Super Bantam Youth 20 ga turkey gun. The gun looks very nice, has screw in chokes, with a stock that will grow with the youngster by adding spacers, camo, fiber optic sights etc. I'm not sure how well this gun will pattern compared to a Remington 870 youth 20 ga? Anyone have any experience with the Super Bantam?
Walt, have no worries with the Mossberg 20. My wife uses a Bantam and it patterns better than my Rem.20. You have seen more than a few pics of how it performs with the T9 loads. It has not cracked the 300/10/40 YET!!! But it is close regularly putting High 270's-290's/10/40.
Give me shout here or at nwtf if you want to know anything else.
Matt(bullethead)

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks Matt. That's the answer I'm looking for. You probably figured out who I'm buying this gun for as you have taken care of them in your shop. Zack & Josh
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 11:05 AM

I have one with a undertaker choke in it i shoot #5 winchesters in it killed one out to 40yrds last year it patterns good
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantail
Thanks Matt. That's the answer I'm looking for. You probably figured out who I'm buying this gun for as you have taken care of them in your shop. Zack & Josh
The boys will do well with that shotgun. All 3 of my boys used the Bantam as their first hunting shotgun and now it is my wife's dedicated turkey gun.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 02:39 PM

sounds like a shotgun i should buy for the g/f she wants to start hunting but all the shotguns i have are either to long or to heavy besides my 410 but thats not exactly the perfect gun for a novice to use especially for pheasants which is what she wants to hunt

Patience is Wisdom and Vice Versa
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Regular Visitor

We own the camo one....and it is a Illinois turkey killing machine...we loan it out to my Hunter Safety graduates, after my sons get their birds....it is extremely effective, and ours loves the # 6 3 inch turkey loads. al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page