Best brand of .357 ammunition? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Best brand of .357 ammunition?

What brands of .357 ammo performs the best? Are any of the bulk ammunitions worth buying now that the price of ammunition has gone sky high?

You just shot an unarmed man. Well he should have armed himself!!! Clint Eastwood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best brand of .357 ammunition?

the best at what?every gun can shoot differently.some bulk ammo is just plain junk.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 10:21 PM

For factory ammo in a handgun you just need to keep trying stuff until you hit on the one that shoots great. I have a 357 that really shot Federal Classic 180 grain HP's good until it went out of time and was sent to Colt for repairs. When I got it back it wouldn't group them well anymore. I went thru a few selections before I got some Hornady xtp 158 grain HP's and these things are 1 3/4" @ 75 yards with open sights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Looking for accuracy for close range deer hunting as well as target shooting. Will be shooting a Ruger GP100 6".

You just shot an unarmed man. Well he should have armed himself!!! Clint Eastwood.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:33 AM

For factory loads - I generally stick to Remington, but have had good luck also with Hornady loaded rounds.

My bulk buys are usually Remington UMC or Federal Eagle/Classic
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:36 PM

I think the best way is to just buy the 20 round boxes of different brands and weights until you hit on something it likes. Different brands of guns have different twists and even barrel lengths will affect what shoots good and what doesn't. There just isn't anyway to tell until you try it and see how it groups.

If you handload you just do the same thing; keep testing different powders; charge rates, bullet weights and brands etc. until you find something that clicks. I got very lucky with the last brand and weight as I found it in 3 selections. I still want to find a good .38 special load for it yet.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 PM
The Man

Yea, of you want real good accuracy, you are going to have to try a few & see what works.
However, I have shot the Speer gold dot soft points, 170 gr for deer. They were rather accurate out of an older GP100.

NRA Patron Life Member
RMEF Member
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:42 PM
The Man

I'm guessing thse are being shot from a Ruger GP100 w/ a 6" barrel. My gun that is that same shoots what ever I shoot out of it the same (I have the same gun). I haven't shot a tone of different loads, but they all seem to shoot about the same. They seem to do their part if I do mine.

If I were shooting factory loads I would choose one that performs on target that like I want, and test a few. I'm sure there will be some that don't shoot worth a darn.

If you are looking for just close range deer hunting I would try a few different 158gr loads. Don't look past the soft points either. They may work just fine. I shot some 158 gr American Eagle soft points out of my gun, and they shot very good. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer with one as reasonable distances.

Venison - The other fast food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page