Winchester 101 barrel swop - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Winchester 101 barrel swop

I have a Winchester 101 and the tubes are bored Skeet & Skeet. Now and then I can see on GunBroker that someone will be selling a 101 forend and barrels that are choked Mod & Full or some other combination. My question is - can I expect to be able to mount another barrel set on my 101 reciever group and expect it to function and function safely or do I need gunsmith intervention to check out the fit?

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 02:05 AM

Re: Winchester 101 barrel swop

They should swap out just fine. The older skeet guns were 4 barrel sets before tube sets were around.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 12:06 PM

Let me begin with a disclaimer---I'm talken out of my butt---but at least now you know that

Here is what I do know, I have a Parker BHE with two sets of barrels. The gun was shipped from the factory with only one set. The second set which are grouse barrels were bought latter. The second set has a forehand with it and serial numbers match. That barrels go on the gun seemingly perfectly, the gun closes up and everything looks perfect---except where the rib extension meets the fence there is a slight vertical misalignment. That would not happen if those barrels had been fitted at the factory.

So--what does that have to do with your question--maybe nothing---but then again maybe it does.

That Winchester was made in Japan in a fairly modern factory and I would expect they had the capability to hold very close dimensional tolerance. However, the fit of a set of barrels is dependent on the dimensions of two separate parts that are produced individually--and it does not take much dimensional variation to make a perfect fit imperfect in this case.

It is perfectly plausible to me that even on those guns the final fitting was done by hand.

Treat people as if they're what they ought to be & you help them become what they can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman76
They should swap out just fine. The older skeet guns were 4 barrel sets before tube sets were around.
yeah, but they were made specifically for one individual break action.

The 101 was made for a long time, and I wouldn't be so sure any 101 barrel will fit any 101 action.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Banned

JimsDad,

might be safer just to send your barrel to Briley or someone and have them install choke tubes.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

might get lucky or might not.i would want to try before i buy.been there done that.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Know what John Henry? I was athinkin' the same thing myownself..... Isn't there a gunsmith in Schwenksville that does this kind of work? I can not recall his name just now.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Banned

There might be, I am not familiar with that area. But I know Briley does quality work. They made my ultralight tube set for my skeet gun.

And they do it all the time, so they have a better experience base to draw from, as opposed to a small gunsmith who might do it once in a blue moon.

Looks like it costs about $400.

http://www.briley.com/2009/screwchokepricing.html
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 02:25 AM
Frequent Contributor

man 400 bucks you can get a new 101 for 900.iguess it depends on how much you love your gun
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 06:36 AM
Banned

I think I would take an old 101 compared to a new 101. Are the new ones made by the same companies that made Remington's Peerless, etc? They were never successful shotguns.

An older 101 is a very well made shotgun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page