hammerless 38? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

hammerless 38?

hey guys do any of you know what the cheapest hammerless 38 small frame revolver is?.. i REALLY like the smith and wesson bodygaurd with the built in laser and if i think that if i were to buy a small frame the laser is a MUST.. is it worth getting a cheaper gun then buying laser seperate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:07 AM
The Man

Re: hammerless 38?

A good laser is around 150-200 bux. You may find a used taurus or EEA, or charter arms or something like that around 200 bux. Then you're still around 350- 450 with tax/transfer and everything. Might as well go ahead with the smith. Plus, just my personal opinion, but "cheap" isn't something I'd look for when picking out a gun that my life may very well depend on.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 08:47 AM
The Man

Locally I seen the S&W ultralite for $389 with no laser sights. I was picked it up, and it felt good in the hand. I just didn't care for it being hammerless. I like the option of being able to pull the hammer back.

I picked up a new Taurus 85 a month or so ago for $301 OTD. I've been carrying it since, and the hammer doesn't catch on my cloths at all. I have a slim holster that comes high enough to protect the hammer.

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Frequent Contributor

Ruger LCR is getting good reviews. Available with or without laser grip.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 AM

Just bought a S&W 442 (hammer-less .38) Great gun. I also own Rugers but all things being equal, buy a S&W for protection.

You just shot an unarmed man. Well he should have armed himself!!! Clint Eastwood.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Sage

I have to ask. Why would you want the cheapest handgun if you are going to carry it for protection? When your life may depend on a frearm, quality should be the first consideration.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Sage

Amen! Beyond that, I have fired a few compact DAO revolvers over the years and have yet to find one that suited me, due to the trigger pull.

One of the absolute worst ones, was a new S&W lightweight that a lady brought to one of our NRA Basic Pistol courses some years ago. No thanks.

I'll stick with my old M36 Smiff. Never one problem with the hammer impeding my ability to draw and fire it effectively.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 05:37 PM
The Man

Check out the Ruger LCR - nice revolver and the trigger pull is good. I got mine with the XS night sight which is a huge upgrade over most J frame front sights.

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Part of the Community

I boughrt a Smith Model 649 and put a Crimson Trace Lazer grip on it. It is my go to carry gun. Shoots either 38 Special or .357 Mag. Semi hamerless.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 07:51 PM
COR
Part of the Community

Ruger LCR with Crimson Trace...I'd also not let a hundred bucks or so get in the way of a quality piece that I'd trust my life too. What is your loved ones and your safety worth to you? It's a rhetorical question but I think you see the point some of us are making. Save more if you need to and buy later...I love (my wifes) LCR with CT (I'm wearing it now)but I can't call it cheap or inexpensive. Now to be fair to "inexpensive guns I carried a Charter arms Undercover with a bobbed hammer for a long time and it is reasonably priced...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page