TSS - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

TSS

Ok I may be behind the times but what is the story with this TSS? I am seeing claims that #9's have as much penetration at 40 yards as #4's. Also I see it is for reloaders only. What amount do you have to buy?

Thanks

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: TSS

TSS: Tungsten Super SHot. True, it is for reloaders only and there are only a few places you can obtain it. Further,the folks actually doing the testing (thousands of their own dollars worth) and patterning keep their load data very close to the vestand WILL NOT give their recipes to just any Joe reloader. It is sold by the pound for around $50-$60 per pound depending on where you find it. It weighs 18 gm/cc, that's 80% denser than lead and roughly 50% denser than Hevi Shot and is very round. Starting out at the same velocities, it won't hold any more energy than the equivilant pb or hevi pellet. It will however penetrate better due to its smaller size and the fact that it is VERY HARD, and thus will break a neck bone with ease! It will pattern similar to any other HTL sjot but likes a slightly more open constriction.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thank you for the reply. I do not hunt turkeys nearly enough to justify that kind of expense. Will stick with my big Green in number 6.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:59 PM

Go over to www.oldgobbler.com. They have a lot info for TSS
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky
They sure will...right up to the point of load data. Then you will get absolutely nothing from the few guys that do all the testing, or the VERY FEW guys that they have given their recipes too. It's kind of an unspoken honor system when it comes to this stuff. Again,m they do not give it out to just anyone and when they do it is implied, if not expected that that info is not to be given out to someone else...just how it goes...

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyjoeyoung
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky
They sure will...right up to the point of load data. Then you will get absolutely nothing from the few guys that do all the testing, or the VERY FEW guys that they have given their recipes too. It's kind of an unspoken honor system when it comes to this stuff. Again,m they do not give it out to just anyone and when they do it is implied, if not expected that that info is not to be given out to someone else...just how it goes...
Spot On
Being that there is no published loads available loads have to be worked up from scratch. You cannot just take a known lead or Hevi-Shot load and substitute the shot. Due to the hardness of the pellets pressure is an issue and great caution must be taken to slowly work up loads. It is not voo-doo as anyone can load it but the time and effort it takes to gain this information has created an almost secret society amongst the loaders.
Hevi-Shot has gone up in price from $159/7lb to $229/7lb. I am waiting with one eye open to see what the next batch of Tungsten will cost. I have 4lb of #8 coming on the old prices and want another 4lb of 9's......if I do not have to sell blood to get it...lolol.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

As good as TSS performs, I might be willing to give up a pint or two for some. I've been a member on OG for a few years and reload everything but HTL and I don't expect to get ANY kind of data without paying for my trouble and swearing a blood oath to not divulge the "voo doo" lol which I would happily do to get my hands on some T9 for the 20 gauge.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

mightyjoeyoung, clean out your PMs and we'll talk about OG for a bit if you want.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuff
mightyjoeyoung, clean out your PMs and we'll talk about OG for a bit if you want.
Cleaned out my pm folder. Weird...only allowed that many pms...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page