Finally got the 85 to the range yesterday - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Finally got the 85 to the range yesterday

I got a new Taurus 85 a couple weeks ago, and was just finally able to get to the range. In the meantime I had loaded up about a dozen different loads to try. Everything from 110 gr HP's to 158 gr cast. I wanted to find a load to hit to point of aim as this gun has fixed sights.

I was thinking 125's would do the trick, but it didn't like them at all. I just sprayed the paper at 10 yards. I tried them first, and was a little concerned. I shot some 158 gr hp's, and they shot perfect. Didn't matter what charge weight either. I put a pistol target up at 25 yards, and was able to hit in the black every time with any 158 load I tried.

I then tried the 110's. No good. They shot accurately enough, but they were about 8-10 inches low at 10 yards.

It is actually a pretty fun gun to shoot. After my less then scientific range test I shot about 75 rounds of 158 gr cast just to get more familiar with the gun. I would have shot more, but I didn't bring any more bullets.

I really wan't planning on using that heavy of a bullet in this gun, but since it shoots that well with them that is what I'm going with.

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 09:28 PM

Re: Finally got the 85 to the range yesterday

I shoot Federal 110 gr. Personal Defense Low Recoil in my 85 UL with a standard sight picture (top of the front blade level with top of back sight)and it's right on. Haven't bothered to try anything else since I only use it as a carry gun.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Re: Finally got the 85 to the range yesterday

That is why I tried so many different loads. Every gun is different. One dfference in the guns is yours is an ultra light. Mine is a standard steel frame gun.

Venison - The other fast food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page