38 special loads for snubbie - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
The Man

38 special loads for snubbie

Just got a 38 snubbie, and was wondering what was the prefered loadings. I don't buy loaded ammo so reloads only.

Right now I loaded up some 125gr XTP's as I have them on hand. Loaded 10 with a standard charge, and 10 with a +P charge to try. I also loaded some 158's as well, but thinking they won't work too well with the short barrel 38. I have TONS of 158 grain cast for practice that are a mild load. I loaded them to practice with my GP100.

My biggest concern with the 125 gr XTP's is that they won't expand reliably with the low velocity of this gun. I was thinking maybe 110 grain loads might be better? Maybe a different brand?

Anybody out there do any testing? I don't have anywhere I can test penetration and expansion of different loads.

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:45 PM

Re: 38 special loads for snubbie

wow almost a hour and no one chimed in on how "bad" reloads are for selp protection. baloney! i say, IF it would ever come down to it and I had to use deadly force I wouldnt really care what I was shooting as long as it was effective. BTW I shoot bulk 125gr JHP's

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use a Speer 158 gr. LSWC Hpt. with a CCI 550 Mag. primer and 10.0 gr. of Alliant 2400 in a S&W Mod 36. I've gone to 11.0 grs. of Alliant 2400 in a S&W Mod. 10. Not an everyday load for a snub 38 Special but good for serious social shooting. The 11.0 gr. load is basically a +P+ load in a 38 Special and chronographed in the S&W Mod.10 w/2" bbl. at 900 fps and the soft Speer bullets do expand. Alliant 2400 is a bit old school and somewhat dirty but it will do the deed. Shoots basically to point of aim. My loads were worked up from 8.0 grs. and came about as a result of an article in <span style="font-style: italic">Handloader </span> magazine a number of years ago.

Muab Dib

"There is no District 12"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Sage

I will second not carrying reloads for self defense. In addition, you didn't say what brand and model .38 snubby you have but if it is a mod 36, do not shoot +ps in it, or the light weight. They were not made for that kind of recoil and presure and they will be damaged.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 02:29 PM

I shoot factory 135gr +P Gold Dots out of my Titanium .38spl. (when being carried)

I shoot 158gr SWC cast bullets with a couple grains of Unique for play.

A lot of arguments for/against using home rolled for personal protection. Me personaly, I'm sticking to factory for that job.

This is coming from a person who HATES buying factory ammo.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is deadly
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Speer 38 Special +P, 135 gr., Gold Dot JHP (#23921). This self defense ammo is designed specifically for short barrel (less than 3") handguns.

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 02:42 PM

I was given several boxes of 38SPL.+P 125. JHP Personal Protection several years ago. As soon I shoot them all I will be making some reloads.

I don't have any problem with reloads for personal protection which I have proven to be reliable and accurate. After all I do each and every one myself. If I can't trust me who can I trust????

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The difference between carrying reloads vs factory ammo??? With factory ammo you are paying someone else to make the very same ammo you can reload yourself.

Steve
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA
The difference between carrying reloads vs factory ammo??? With factory ammo you are paying someone else to make the very same ammo you can reload yourself.
That's what I was thinking. Unless there is some off the wall legal reason not to do so I will continue to roll my own. I think I can be a litle more carefull than a machine that loads thousands at a time.

I got a model Taurus 85 in all steel. No aluminum or another metal for that matter.

I pondered trying a lighter load of 2400 as I have lots, but I don't care to deviate from a loading manual. Right now I'm loading with Unique.

Venison - The other fast food
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:11 PM

125 gr. JHP.

You just shot an unarmed man. Well he should have armed himself!!! Clint Eastwood.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page